Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut- Where do we stand??

D&D Flesheaters

Owner of D&D Flesheaters
I'm curious to hear some viewpoints on where we stand in regards to the rut. I sat sun-up to sun-down yesterday and today, and my thought is things just aren't kicked into gear yet. I saw a ton of young bucks just cruising around, but no mature bucks. Also saw dozens of does and fawns, and everything seemed very relaxed and normal. I saw 0 chases. I pulled my camera, and all the big ole boys are still cruising around 3a.m. The time of year and this cold snap really made me think things should be rocking, but I'm just not seeing it. Is it just me or have things just not kicked into gear yet? What is everyone else seeing?

Two nights ago I hunted a along a freshly picked cornfield and there were 25 deer in the field right before dark. Only about 4 or 5 of them were bucks and they were all 2 1/2 or younger. They were chasing the does around, but the does didn't seem to want anything to do with them. Saw a few good ones today with does, I think it's just starting to get good now. Should be an awesome week.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has arrived in SE Iowa. Last few days have been incredible, big and small are on the move...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rustyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious to hear some viewpoints on where we stand in regards to the rut. I sat sun-up to sun-down yesterday and today, and my thought is things just aren't kicked into gear yet. I saw a ton of young bucks just cruising around, but no mature bucks. Also saw dozens of does and fawns, and everything seemed very relaxed and normal. </div></div>

This is pretty much what I have been seeing also! Alotta dink's cruising and just a tad of chasing! My grand total for this afternoon's hunt............2 does together!!!!!HMMM??

My boys and I were down at our farm this weekend, we are in NE Davis County, and things were going pretty well last night, Saturday, and this morning, Sunday. I have seen it be more "chasey", but things were happening. We saw big and small bucks moving, but nothing monstrous.

We were driving around a bit Saturday AM at around 10:00A to 11:30A and we saw multiple deer, including nice bucks, moving at that time. Keep at it, your luck can change in a minute right now!

I think the best is yet to come. Still seeing smaller bucks on the move. It is the same every year for the most part, just have to get in the stand and hunt.

I spent Sunday afternnon out pheasant hunting and on the drive back home (15miles) I spoted 5 bucks that where shooters. Two were with does, three alone. One huge buck (+180) in the middle of a cut bean field a half mile off the blacktop, took off when I stopped to glass.
They are moving around Muscatine county.

i hunted sunday from about noon till dark an started seeing deer as soon as i got in the stand seen a couple little bucks following a doe not chasing her just following with their heads down and then about half an hour later had another doe come through with 160 class buck following her head down but no chasing he was nice on but no shot was offered.... its almost time i say it close enough to be sitting all day b/c it can happen anytime of day now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has arrived in SE Iowa. Last few days have been incredible, big and small are on the move... </div></div>

Same here in our part of SE Iowa, even saw 4 of the big boys locked down!

The 2nd full moon after the Equinox is not till the 13th. That should really start the majority of the does in to the estrous cycle. I know that some of you don't believe in the lunar trigger but I think it is pretty well right on track in the past.

Tuesday hubby hunted saw several shooters and Wed. I hunted and saw several shooters. Hunted all weekend and saw a whole lot of not much.

Saturday saw a couple does and one little 6 ptr and sunday saw absolutely nothing!

Was out Friday, Saturday & Sunday this past weekend. Seen lot's does by themselves and lots of scrubs to 120" running around like they are lost. Sunday a.m. rattled in a decent 10 point that was just not there yet. Let him walk.
They were responsive to calling and rattling just lots of dinks.
Don't know if the big guys just aren't moving as much yet or if they are not in my area. So as far as where the rut stands I would guess a little early but then again what do I know. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just got back from Southern Iowa, and the rut is in full swing down there! The big boys are starting to lock down! Lots of little guys crusing!

I have the next four day's to hunt! I hope this is it! I'm hunting Warren county and things have had their up's and down's and I hope it's going to really pick up over the next week!

I've seen 3 does bred in the last week.I think in warren and madison county it is in lock down.I have by the way been in the stand non stop for 2 weeks and had heavy cruising 2 weeks ago with all day buck movement.The last 2 days have turned ice cold for me.I did see little bucks all day today,but not one shooter for miles.

Heck I live in Warren County and can watch the deer from my kitchen table. I will always see large bucks out looking for action in the corn fields across the street and on the timber edge. So far nothing of the sort has happend in my area this season. I also know every area is different and you should always keep that in mind. When things are in full gear on your property it could be a different story just a mile down the road.

Top Bottom