Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut

Here is what so many people don't understand bucks do not go into rut the does go into rut and the bucks then start chasing hard and checking the does in my area will start around November. 7th it's around the same time of yr. every yr. no matter the weather or the temp. Or the moon phases. I'm not saying these things do not affect movement. So if the does in your area start oct. 28th it does not mean 20 miles down the road it's happen. So I would focus on your area and when you start seeing the big boys cruising the does have prob. Started or at least a couple of them.

sent from super hunters I phone

Here is what so many people don't understand bucks do not go into rut the does go into rut and the bucks then start chasing hard and checking the does in my area will start around November. 7th it's around the same time of yr. every yr. no matter the weather or the temp. Or the moon phases. I'm not saying these things do not affect movement. So if the does in your area start oct. 28th it does not mean 20 miles down the road it's happen. So I would focus on your area and when you start seeing the big boys cruising the does have prob. Started or at least a couple of them.

Bingo! I get such a kick out of the posts, starting about this time of year, that say "saw a buck chasing a doe tonight, its on baby!!". And then everyone statewide thinks its time to get out there. I usually get impatient about does coming into heat because in my area its usually way later than most other places in the state. I don't typically see hard chasing until mid-late november whereas some people are already seeing it in late October. Funny but I still love hearing about it!

Its on baby. No seriously I hunted morning and night all weekend with zero rut activity. Until Sunday night on a new farm. Possibly got the first hot doe in the area to come thru. Followed by 3 3yr olds, 3 2yr olds, a spike, and finally a 5 yr old pinned her down in a thicket for 2 hours. Incredible hunt. It just takes one hot doe.

For ducks, its guys getting antsy about the migration.. for deer, its guys getting antsy about the rut.. happens every year.. be patient. Hunt whenever you can. You will know when you see it. I've seen many more deer on their feet as of late... but I've seen a ton of farmers in the fields also. Just sayin...

What I'm not saying, is that it's not possible to see rut activity during pre rut...it most certainly is possible. But its not optimal timing for most of Iowa as of yet. Holoween is usually my marker for good deer movement during daylight hours(right around the corner;)) and Nov 5-15 is a must hunt period for me. Usually pretty spot on with those dates.. 5-6 deer in an earli/mid october sit turns to 15-25+ in nov, quick:)

You are bass ackwards my friend.. ;) Female deer go into estrous.. By definition, the rut is an annually recurrent sexual excitement in the male deer. Otherwise I agree with everything else you typed. :way:

I'm then by you definition the rut is a time of yr. so bucks do not go into rut the does go into estrous and start the rut off. Is that better for you.

I think He is asking if anyone is seeing rut activity most bow hunters should know what the RUT is. Up Here in Northeast Iowa I have not seen much activity at all a lot of corn in the fields and most deer are around them areas. Small bucks have been banging horns together and bigger bucks are starting to show them selves in daylight. Best time to get out there in my opinion catch a Big Boy on the move. Good Luck to all

And on another note it is defined that way by Merriam-Webster Which was written by guys who are in the timber all the time. I think not next time you use your internet to look up something you may consider the source. It appears that a lot of people on this site do this quite a bit anymore.

I agree I think that was his question I got a little off the direct question. Sorry but I think you would be surprised how many "bow hunters" don't know what the rut is and how it works.

And on another note it is defined that way by Merriam-Webster Which was written by guys who are in the timber all the time. I think not next time you use your internet to look up something you may consider the source. It appears that a lot of people on this site do this quite a bit anymore.

Someone has to write the definition... who better than the people in the woods experiencing it.. you said just the 'does' go into rut. I personally consider the 'rut' to be the entire breeding cycle and activity that go along with it whether it be male or female

Some rutting activitity in MN when they days are cold...long term forecast says cool for Iowa, not really cold, but cool, should help a bit

Top Bottom