Sad Sad Story

Peoples utter disrespect and lazyness as hunters has also not done our outdoor sports any favors. No respect for property lines, shooting out of season, at night, out of your truck window, or whatever it may be have also turned a lot of folks against the sports which only makes it harder for us all. Especially if you are knocking on a door and you receive a firm no because everybody else and there brother has done all of the above mentioned and they no longer allow hunting. I agree we need to continue to involve the younger generations and I would be happy to take somebody out hunting any time they asked, but we also need to teach and lead by example as stewards of the land. Then we will have a new generation of young respectful hunters who truly appreciate the outdoors.

Kids are a product of their environment, if they'd rather stay in bed and play call of duty it is their parents fault. I teach Grade 7/8, beside my desk sits a wonderful framed photo of a boy and the buck he shot this yr along with a thank you for teaching him the Firearm Safety course which is required to hunt. His father approached me with the idea b/c he simply couldn't do it with his work schedule. It was pleasure, 75% of my class chose to take it, 1 student in my class has a video game at home. Like I said, product of one's environment.

If someone is buying their kids a psp or whatever they're called to kill time while travelling, or installing a t.v on the back of a seat for them to stare at, then they shouldn't be surprised if they one day wake up and their kids can't entertain themselves or have little to no awareness of the world around them.

Teenagehunter, sounds like you need to move to where 6,000 people is a large city...and 90% of the teachers suppoort hunting.

Fo sho! I think I'd love to have you as my teacher because most of the 8th grade teachers hate me because I'm lazy but I have all A+'s.

I kind of agree with J Barton's take on it becoming a "bitter, self protecting hunting community". I changed from finding it fun to take my son hunting to not taking him during gun due to safety and having him watch me as I confront some trespasser on my property. The same with work friends/colleagues. I only have 100 acres and definitely don't consider myself rich. I've put money and sweat into tree plantings and native plantings thinking I was doing the right thing which makes this subject even testier for me. I have seen the comment of "hunting becoming a rich man's game", and it sounds true when I first read it, but with my experiences I can't blame the rich guy that buys 400 acres who says NO to each knock on the door and who protects his fenceline like a bulldog. I'm of the opinion now that the rich guy cause and effect of lack of hunting locations is switched around and it isn't the guy who bought the lands fault saying no. If I liked golf I may have sold my place by now and taken up the hobby :grin: but not sure I'm ready to go there yet.

As far as kids playing video games and not wanting to be outdoors, that falls directly on the parents shoulders. If you don't want your kids to be fat, lazy bums than man up and take them hunting or fishing.

I took all my video game playing kids hunting and fishing and they to this day still aren't interested in doing either one. I guess I must have raised them ALL wrong huh? One is teacher, one is a mechanic and the other is back to school for computers. They're all bums and I guess I'm a pussy because I didn't brainwash them right to hunt or fish. :rolleyes: :moon: Yep I'm taking it personal since you lumped us all together.

I changed from finding it fun to take my son hunting to not taking him during gun due to safety and having him watch me as I confront some trespasser on my property. The same with work friends/colleagues.

Exactly the same here.... I'd enjoy taking friends, neighbors, and the kids of my friend's and neighbor's, but the extra good buck or two in the area get's whacked from the road. You work your butt off to have half a dozen good bucks in the area, and find yourself chasing only one or two because the rest are killed by poachers or trespassers. It makes you a selfish game warden of the few sole survivors....leaving little time for social hunting with others.

Back