Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saw a once in a lifetime buck

IowaChiro

I was pretty bummed after my target buck was killed on new years eve, by some guys leasing ground next to my grandpa's. Good for those guys, kind of a kick in my ass though. So I went to my place south of there, to just kill a doe....well, first deer out was one of the biggest deer I've seen on the hoof, double drops with a split brow on the left. Probably going to be close to 200 gross. He didn't get closer than 220 yards, so I left at 535. On my way out I bumped some does, who bumped him. What are the chances he is back out feeding there this week with the cold? I saw him Sunday.

Yeah I would hunt that spot every afternoon until season closes, what have you got to lose?

He will be back - he needs food to live - and you only bumped the does, not him. Play the wind and hunt every chance you can get! I would be taking vacation the rest of the season for a chance at a deer like that - especially this time of season - they become very patternable when they need food.

He will be back - he needs food to live - and you only bumped the does, not him. Play the wind and hunt every chance you can get! I would be taking vacation the rest of the season for a chance at a deer like that - especially this time of season - they become very patternable when they need food.

I'm going Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday...the wind is perfect saturday, but I'll be carefull getting in and out. I can't think about anything else, ever since Sunday.

Deer scare themselves half the time and clear the field. Bumping deer during the late season getting out is not that big of a deal in my opinion, in the setting you described anyhow (exiting a field, after dark, and one and a doe running them out). It's when the whole herd knows why they are running is when its an issue; ie. pushing a timber, going in the bedding area leaving scent, etc. My guess is that he has been there every night this week, just maybe not before dark. If he didn't smell you, than I would believe that is an extremely killable deer.

What are you comfortable out too. 220 yards is very doable broadside with a good rest
I killed my buck at 225 last year, but the blood trail was non existent. The wind Sunday was a pretty stiff cross wind, so I didn't shoot, I also failed to mention that they were all headed my way until 4 coyotes came on the field. The deer went to the other side of a finger....and when I exited at dark, that's when the does ran.

What are you comfortable out too. 220 yards is very doable broadside with a good rest

I too would be killing at 225. :D I'd make sure that your gun is sighted in that far so that you can seal the deal on Thurs!

I should add, I wouldn't move in too close to where they are entering the field. Definitely don't want to bump any as they enter.

I killed my buck at 225 last year, but the blood trail was non existent. The wind Sunday was a pretty stiff cross wind, so I didn't shoot, I also failed to mention that they were all headed my way until 4 coyotes came on the field. The deer went to the other side of a finger....and when I exited at dark, that's when the does ran.

Sounds like the right decision

I think waiting til Wednesday those deer will have forgot about you bumping them. Like was stated, double check zero on the muzzy and get after him, good luck!

Deer scare themselves half the time and clear the field. Bumping deer during the late season getting out is not that big of a deal in my opinion, in the setting you described anyhow (exiting a field, after dark, and one and a doe running them out). It's when the whole herd knows why they are running is when its an issue; ie. pushing a timber, going in the bedding area leaving scent, etc. My guess is that he has been there every night this week, just maybe not before dark. If he didn't smell you, than I would believe that is an extremely killable deer.

This^^ If he got carried away with the rest of the fleeing herd and didn't see/smell the danger himself...IMO, he will be back soon. Even if not, given the time delay from Sunday until now AND the sudden, brutally cold weather...I think he makes another appearance.

This^^ If he got carried away with the rest of the fleeing herd and didn't see/smell the danger himself...IMO, he will be back soon. Even if not, given the time delay from Sunday until now AND the sudden, brutally cold weather...I think he makes another appearance.
I agree with both these guys go kill him. The important thing is to be getting into your set up undetected and of course with the wind in your favor. Sounds like a great buck good luck!

I'm going Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday...the wind is perfect saturday, but I'll be carefull getting in and out. I can't think about anything else, ever since Sunday.

Why? It's just a possible 200" double drop with a split. Now if it had double splits, I could see not thinking about anything else. :D Ha ha. Seriously, I'd be a little on edge wanting to get back out there. Hope you get another chance to take him and we get harvest pics. Hunt it smart. And I know where I'd be doing some major shed hunting if I didn't get him.

hunt it with the right wind. if you dont get him by sat get some cameras out
or observe long range to see when he sheds to make sure the squirrels or trespassers don't get his sheds.

good luck

Sounds like the guys that leased that other ground unintentionally did you a favor. Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom