SF2127 Non-resident hunting

sounds like a win win for everyone no matter what side of the issue you are on. more dead does, more money for dnr. less bucks killed,

might not be too bad, except for the part about raising NR tag numbers. strike that last sentence, and you may have something

So the cost of the tags will remain the same since they reduced the price to $50.00 for an antlerless tag. The number of NR tags will increase to 12000 from 6000 with a maximum of 35% archery tags. Kill more deer for the same price. Sounds good to me. Hunt early season for does, hunt the rut for bucks. I'm in. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SF2127

It's not a win-win it's asinine.

double the anysex tags = asinine

NR earn a buck with 2 does statewide? = asinine

The whole state isn't the same as the southern 2 tiers and I'm getting mighty tired of the legislators and the media (and FB) refusing to accept that.

I don't need harvest in my county raised 1 darn deer, we're doing just fine under the current system and I hope to see the antlerless quota go down next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like a win win for everyone no matter what side of the issue you are on. more dead does, more money for dnr. less bucks killed, </div></div>

So when the NR's kill those two does off of the sanctuary they create with their land purchase or lease, I guess that will make a big difference in the population? Or when your kids want a place to hunt, but can't get permission anymore, that is a win?

Only win win here is for NR and DNR.

No more NR tags in any form or fashion is the only win win for the average Iowa blue collar hunter.

This has to be the stupidest game law ever suggested. It will NEVER pass. The person that thought of this insane idea obviously doesn't bowhunt.

I mean no disrespect to Iowa residents, but for any of you wanting NR's to show up and kill your does and button bucks just so they EAB is crazy.

Let us try and kill a deer we want and go home, it takes 3 years to draw a bow-buck tag in the zone I hunt, I sure am not wanting to kill your antlerless deer until after my buck tag is filled.

Lets be realistic. Say you get a chance to bowhunt the Milk river in Montana, and you cant wait to get a crack at a big buck, you save your money for 3 years, and then the State says you "HAVE TO" kill two does with your BOW before you can buck hunt? Give me a break?

Alot of NR's only take so many days vaction to go out of State hunting, they sure dont want to waste their hunt looking for doe's to kill.

And dont you now have a telecheck system? Why couldn't people call in false doe kills. And if questioned say they gave the deer to some traveling gypsey's?

This law has not been thought out too well, and hopefully gets shot down in flames.

Here is a link to another post about this article.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254385&fpart=1

It is going to be hard to enforce and check if they actually shoot 2 does with only telephone/internet check-ins, pretty easy to find that loophole.

Going to be hard to enforce the "no sale" tag rule, another loophole.

I just don't understand why they do not take this problem and address is by county or area of the state. Doesn't seem that the entire state has an out of control population. Why not have residents do an earn-a-buck, any serious bowhunter in an area with a serious doe problem shouldn't have issues tagging a doe early in the season. Or have a land owner/resident antlerless only early season, bow and/or gun whatever they decide. I just wish they would keep working with the residents, they'd get 2x more accomplished. I can see where if I was a non-resident I really wouldn't want to take my 5 day trip and have to "waste" time shooting 2 does before I could buck hunt, it is no secret why they come to the state; the bucks not does. Also earn-a-buck will probably increase button buck harvest numbers by resident or non-residents. Just my thoughts.

I have land down in the southern counties and as I have stated before,,there are not wall to wall deer down there. Maybe somewhere in the county, but not all of any one county is the same. Across the road from me is a parcel of 600 acres. Owned by a business man in Florida. I am a friend of him, but he allows no hunting on the land. He says so many have asked, to be fair he allows no one. He comes up once a yr during shot gun to shoot one deer, maybe. Guess he does not know what the DNR wants. I kinda like it as his land is somewhat of a haven next to me. But with him in Florida, you can be sure alot of people sneak over on it. I found a dead buck left to rot in the middle of it after gun season.

hey if you want a chance at a big buck then do your part and kill some does, buffalo county wisconsin has earn a buck and look at it this way , as a NR if the #tags doubles then you may not have to wait 3 years anymore. How can you say you want to just come to iowa shoot a buck and leave. Isnt this why the deer hunting in places like NY. Michigan, Pennsylvania is so poor because people just kill bucks and dont want to kill does. Why should the iowa residents be stuck to deal with the doe population( that is if your hunting in a zone like 5 where the population is high. Just getin your car , drive to iowa in october shoot a doe and come back for the rut. I am not anti NR, at all, I just dont think its your Right, it a privledge.

First post on this site, hope I don't ruffle too many feathers.

I get what you're saying, I do. And if I could manage to make two hunting trips to Iowa in a year, I would. But there's just not enough vacation and not enough money to do that. About the most can manage is a late winter/early spring long w/e for scouting, in addition to a week long hunt in November. I'd think a lot of people are in that same boat. Having to kill two does before even attempting to kill a buck is ridiculous, and IMO will cripple the outfitting industry in Iowa and discourage NR's from coming there. Maybe that's the intention of this bill, and the folks that support it, I dunno. Most people I know, and that includes me, can afford to come out there for a week, and trying to kill three deer in a week in foreign territory is a tall order, especially if you're hunting public land, as I plan to.

How about this, charge some kind of upfront anterless fee when you buy your license (over and above what's required now), and if a NR hunter does kill one or two anterless deer after they get their buck (or before, if they choose), they can check the doe and bring it to the check-in station, and get a refund. Sort of a like a core deposit for an auto part.

The state will get more does killed from folks that want their deposit back, and those that don't kill does are donating money to the DNR. This idea is off the top of my head, maybe it won't work, but it's something.

You can always go to Missouri and buy your tag over the counter,plus doe tags for a NR are only $7 a piece, for as many as you want. I live in Iowa, but I also like to hunt other states just for the chance at getting another Buck. I do shoot does also, but i would'nt like being forced to do it in a weeks time. I mainly hunt private ground and we do feel as a resident it is our job to take care of the population, but all those deer are given away to HUSH, which is nice and i would not want the state to give me money back, but it would be nice to earn some kind of a perk for shooting doe's.

It dosn't matter, Im still showin up and killin a P&Y.

It's what I do.

SF 2127, NONRESIDENT DEER LICENSES . Requires a nonresident deer hunter to purchase two antlerless licenses with the purchase of an antlered or any sex license and to take two antlerless deer before taking any other deer. Reduces the cost of an antlerless license to $50. Increases the number of non-resident licenses to 12,000. SNRC.

I will call in road kill, I will give my doe tags to locals.

You cant make me kill a doe!

It is not in me, I gave up killin does along time ago, and Iowa wont make me change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fletchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It dosn't matter, Im still showin up and killin a P&Y.

It's what I do.

SF 2127, NONRESIDENT DEER LICENSES . Requires a nonresident deer hunter to purchase two antlerless licenses with the purchase of an antlered or any sex license and to take two antlerless deer before taking any other deer. Reduces the cost of an antlerless license to $50. Increases the number of non-resident licenses to 12,000. SNRC.

It is not in me, I gave up killin does along time ago, and Iowa wont make me change. </div></div>

I look forward to the fall every year put countless hours into scouting, hanging stands etc etc. When fall rolls around I whack 8 to 10 does a year both gun and bow, occassionally kill two does back to back from the same stand. If im lucky I kill two nice bucks a year. Basically doing my part to help balance the herd. To have someone that claims to be such a great hunter complain about killing two does before a buck is ridiculous to me. As mentioned before it is not a right to hunt in Iowa it is a privalage. One that i will fight tooth and nail to protect so i can enjoy and also my kids. If it bothers you so much to kill to does like the rest of us then save your money, your gas, and the enviroment by not driving to Iowa and kill your P&y in your Home state of michigan. We are trying and fighting to keep Iowa from turning in to the commercialized version of so called hunting that has taken over states such as Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky and so on. There is a reason Iowa has big bucks Its called limited pressure, restrictitons, quotas, etc. If you not happy with Iowas Regs. Stay home and Piss and moan to some one who cares. I also like to hunt other states and it is a privelage to do so. To draw a tag in kansas is like a Christmas gift to me. Accept it and be thankful you get one every 3 years.
Whack and stack lots of does with the bow and kill some nice bucks to. Stand up and fight for the privelages to do so in this great state.
BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DO.

P.S. Maybe if you killed some does it would relive some stress and anger and you wouldt be so bitter and hateful of Iowas regulations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottonbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fletchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It dosn't matter, Im still showin up and killin a P&Y.

It's what I do.

It is not in me, I gave up killin does along time ago, and Iowa wont make me change. </div></div>

You are a doe killer, im not.

I look forward to the fall every year put countless hours into scouting, hanging stands etc etc. When fall rolls around I whack 8 to 10 does a year both gun and bow, occassionally kill two does back to back from the same stand. If im lucky I kill two nice bucks a year. Basically doing my part to help balance the herd. To have someone that claims to be such a great hunter complain about killing two does before a buck is ridiculous to me. As mentioned before it is not a right to hunt in Iowa it is a privalage. One that i will fight tooth and nail to protect so i can enjoy and also my kids. If it bothers you so much to kill to does like the rest of us then save your money, your gas, and the enviroment by not driving to Iowa and kill your P&y in your Home state of michigan. We are trying and fighting to keep Iowa from turning in to the commercialized version of so called hunting that has taken over states such as Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky and so on. There is a reason Iowa has big bucks Its called limited pressure, restrictitons, quotas, etc. If you not happy with Iowas Regs. Stay home and Piss and moan to some one who cares. I also like to hunt other states and it is a privelage to do so. To draw a tag in kansas is like a Christmas gift to me. Accept it and be thankful you get one every 3 years.
Whack and stack lots of does with the bow and kill some nice bucks to. Stand up and fight for the privelages to do so in this great state.
BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DO.

P.S. Maybe if you killed some does it would relive some stress and anger and you wouldt be so bitter and hateful of Iowas regulations. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottonbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fletchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It dosn't matter, Im still showin up and killin a P&Y.

It's what I do.

BECAUSE THATS WHAT I DO. </div></div>

First, let me say I completely disagree with Fletch's line of thinking. In no way would I ever advocate disregarding the law if it's passed.

That said, I hope it doesn't become law. Again, it's a matter of time. For someone who has a week to get out there and hunt, killing two does before a buck is a tall order. Basically, from a NR's point of view, this says to me, "Stay home, we don't want you here." And maybe that's how some people feel, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I for one like shooting does in my home state of Maryland, and I'd be perfectly willing to hunt does in Iowa if I'm fortunate enough to get a buck, but I just think it's asking a little much of a NR who's probably coming from a good distance, to kill two does first.

If my own state proposed a law like this for NR's, I'd oppose it, I just don't think it's a reasonable rule.

FWIW, I can certainly understand you not wanting Iowa to end up like Illinois and such, commercialization is taking hunting in a bad direction, IMO. I just think there's got to be a better way than this to keep that from happening.

Hey scottbuck? I dont kill bait.

Anybody that hunts BIG BUCKS doesn't kill the bait.

Maybe you are a redneck loser that never even learned how to hunt?

Self taught in fact and learning by the minute. Have gotten pretty decent at it I think. But hey what do I know Im just Some red neck on a keyboard. Oh yeah bait is for fishing

Back