Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shoot or not to shoot

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
How many of you would shoot a nice deer with half a rack?? I will leave this up for discussion. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

To me that depends on the specific deer.....
if i know i will get to hunt the area the following year, and the buck had shed its antlers, id pass him,
however, if it was a genetic half rack, and his one side was gi-normous id put one in him......

but if it was the last day, i still had a tag in my pocket and the future of my permission was in limbo....id think real hard about shooting him......

I probably wouldn't shoot him. There will be a big ole fat nanny walk by sooner or later. Everyone has their idea of a trophy, so if the shooter see's it as a trophy, blast away. Just personal opinion, I wouldn't shoot him.

Late enough and big enough, I'd shoot. Then I'd start shed hunting as soon as he hit the ground...

I was faced with this decision during my bow hunting vacation this year. I was on a "daylight til dark" hunt from a favorite bedding area stand. The wind was perfect for my set up as bucks skirted the thick cover, scent checking for estrus does. Activity was great all day long. At 3:45 I put an arrow in a big old milk bag and watched her go down. Later I caught the glimpse of antler in the thick stuff. I think this big boy was trying to get my dead doe up for some hanky-panky until he heard me jingle my rattling antlers I had hanging from my bow rope. He came charging in and offered a perfect 12 yard quartering away shot. He was just what I'd been looking for all season. A nice 170ish 10 pointer with the upper two thirds of his right main beam missing from above the brow tine. My heart sunk, as I watched my perfect opportunity slip back into the brush. I couldn't shoot him, not all busted like that. I do hope to find his good side this spring . He could be an absolute giant next year. I feel good knowing I tricked him and had the chance but look forward to meeting up with him again.

I saw a buck with half a rack that a party hunt harvested during second season shotgun. 3 point buck on one side, whole other side was broken off toward the base.

If I had been out hunting, I would have let him go till next year, id rather shot a doe than a buck that would have potential next year.

I would never shoot a half rack buck unless he was a genetic freak that needed to be killed.

If it was a shed half rack, it will always get the free pass from me.

Depending on Size for me would be a determining factor. If the deer had a decent side still attached I would have to wait.

I let a buck walk this year just because he was missing his brow tine... think the half rack would get a pass no matter how big!

The only reason I could see to shoot a buck that actually had only a half rack because the other side had been shed is so someone could brag that he had shot another buck again this year. That same person also has a stack of horns and skull plates that are all mouse chewed in the corner of the garage that he has collected over the years because a real hunter only shoots bucks and he sure is a real hunter. It should make no difference how big the one side is or how late in the season, why kill that buck to just through the one horn in the pile, because who will spend $500 to have that one mounted and proudly hang it on your wall?

The only half rack I would have shot would have been a real nice twelve that ran into the side of my pick up. He busted off his left antler in velvet and never grew another one on that side. I hunted him for three years out of revenge and he was shot during shotgun season on the neighbors property. Unless he was a crazy freak buck I would let him walk.

Depends on the buck. I had eyes on a half rack buck that was absolutely monstrous on one side and the other side was a freak club that went down by his jaw. I'd have pounded him in a heart beat.

Assuming it was an ordinary buck with a shed antler...I'd shoot...at the remaining antler and then go find the match. lol

Yup.. I have passed shed bucks. Never had a one sided monster in range though, so who knows. But i wouldnt mount it, soo why shoot it i suppose. I would shoot a one sided freak though.

I would say no. Actually happenned to me a few years back on a late season muzzleloader hunt. Had a large buck with 6 points on the left antler and no right antler - about 100 yards - I passed. My friend that I was hunting with out there knew the deer and told me he was a 190-200 class buck with both sides. Back here in PA I passed a really good 8 point on the last day of the late archery season with only one side and took a doe that was with him. Probably never even got a look at him the following year but that is how it goes here.

I could never do it. I had a half rack walk by tonight that I probably would of shot with my bow provided he had the other side.

Passed a nice 8 that had a broken g2 this morn.. kinda kicking myself now, but I dont know if he was big enough anyhow.......grrrr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I probably wouldn't shoot him. There will be a big ole fat nanny walk by sooner or later. Everyone has their idea of a trophy, so if the shooter see's it as a trophy, blast away. Just personal opinion, I wouldn't shoot him. </div></div>

I agree with this answer. The only thing I'd add would be about the half-rack itself.

If the half rack was due to genetics I'd probably shoot him, if it was because half his rack was broke off from a fight...I'd opt to let him walk.

Top Bottom