Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoulder shot question

rc10pt

Friend shot a nice deer tonight at 16 yds but drifted a few inches ahead putting it in the shoulder. The deer darted off obviously limping once 100yds away or so then vanished out of sight. The arrow only showed about 2" of penetration with a little blood, muscle,and fatty material. No blood trail close and it was raining. He was shooting the new rage hypodermics. My Q's are:
How much time should he put into recovery not thinking this is a kill shot?

Is the deer likely to make a full recovery?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Why does anyone shoot at a deer with a bow when it is raining, knowing full well that quite often the only way to recover these animals is to wait an hour or more and then blood trail? This is irresponsible.

He should spend just as much time as if he thinks it is dead.

Why does anyone shoot at a deer with a bow when it is raining, knowing full well that quite often the only way to recover these animals is to wait an hour or more and then blood trail? It's irresponsible
I disagree. Some of the best hunting occurs right before a storm front and if I'm in a stand I'm taking a shot if it's presented. OP you do understand that 2 inches won't even make it to the arrow shaft correct? If it's two inches up the arrow, that's inside the chest cavity, but barely. An all out recovery effort must be made on ANY wounded game regardless of how you "think" you hit them.

And I also disagree with huntemup. It's not irresponsible everyone has there own personal choices on when and what type of shots they take with there bow. You don't like to take shots when it's raining and that's your choice. Doesn't make it wrong for someone else to take that shot

Try in the morning. Not likely he is dead but never know...trust me.

2" into the guts he's dead every time. Shoulder is as good a chance that he makes it as anywhere on his body. You just never know how much you really got -one
Lung etc.

Exhaust all options tomorrow and keep eyes peeled for crows, vultures, coyotes etc.

Last edited:
Why does anyone shoot at a deer with a bow when it is raining, knowing full well that quite often the only way to recover these animals is to wait an hour or more and then blood trail? This is irresponsible.

Disagree big time. If its raining- still get out there. Some of the best hunting can be in those conditions. Taking shots at too far of a
Distance- through cover or bad angle are much worse than the rain. You can track a deer many other was besides just blood trail

What are you talking about Crockett?

How is this poor advice? Care to explain or just play sticks and stones....

Last edited:
I said look in the morning like you should on any animal.

Shoulder often non fatal and the OP was asking.

For future reference I was explaining anatomy that 2" doesn't mean the deer is safe. In the guts he's septic soon and will die vs muscular.

So....don't not look because you have only 2" of penetration. That was my point .

Last edited:

Are you kidding me?? This is why some people don't post anymore?? Take this nonsense elsewhere ...

I agree that a gut shot outweighes a shoulder shot. I don't care whats on the end of your arrow if you hit that shoulder in the worst a spot it isn't going to penetrate into the chest.

No bashing at all, but I completely disagree... as what was stated above I have seen great deer movement before and after rain. I have shot great deer before rain and I have never needed a blood trail to find. On the other hand some deer if I would have never had blood I would of never found. Its a matter of opinion.

I would defiantly look for the deer, but highly doubt he's dead. My gpa shot one in the shoulder 2 years ago got about 4-5 inches of penetration. I was hunting about 150 yards from him and it made the loudest "shwack" noise I've ever heard. Never found the deer

I agree that these conditions aren't ideal, but if I took vacation days off to hunt and it's raining I'm sure as hell not gonna sit inside and watch TV.

Seriously...?:rolleyes: The guy is already bummed because he made a bad shot. Go ahead kick him while he is down why dont ya! I bet you there are a 100 guys on here that can tell a story of a deer they watched fall from the tree stand. No one goes out in the rain intending to gut shoot a deer!

I did it in 2010 with a magnus stinger 2 blade on the end of a 565 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow at 12 yards...
Only deer I've never recovered, he did live though so that was a positive.
There are a few places in the shoulder of a bit old buck that you won't poke through it just comes with the territory.
I have a sticker on my riser now that says "LUNGS!!" Just a helpful reminder to quit hugging that shoulder

Disagree all you guys want. Shooting a deer with a bow in the rain is a very poor choice. I would love to know the other "magical" methods for tracking a wounded deer. Unless he is the only deer in the woods, the tracks in the mud will soon be useless once he hits a trail. I helped a 12 year old recover his well hit deer the other day and it still went 200 yards with a sparse blood trail. The ONLY way you would have ever found that deer if it was raining was to stumble onto it. Not likely. The primary way to recover a bow-shot deer is by the blood trail. With rain, there is no trail. So, its selfish at best.

Top Bottom