Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug gun opinions

nj81

I am in the market for a dependable and accurate slug gun for shotgun season in Iowa. In the past I've my Winchester super x2 and a holo sight. I've had ok luck with it but I've never been completely confident in the setup.

I would like some opinions to what you guys are using or feel is the best combo out there. These are my requirements: rifled cantilever barrel, semi auto, 12 or 20 gauge.

Go to the "gear and equipment" section and the thread titled "slug gun" and you will find all of the information you will ever want / need on this topic. I would attach the link, but cannot figure out how to do that with my phone. Good luck in making a choice between all of the quality slug gun comb o's available on the market today.

I am in the market for a dependable and accurate slug gun for shotgun season in Iowa. In the past I've my Winchester super x2 and a holo sight. I've had ok luck with it but I've never been completely confident in the setup.

I would like some opinions to what you guys are using or feel is the best combo out there. These are my requirements: rifled cantilever barrel, semi auto, 12 or 20 gauge.

I shoot a SBE 2, rifled barrel and open sights. I really didn't like the sights and we're not interchangeable so I had them cut off and had Remington sights but on and re-blued. My first was an 870 with a scope then an Eco tech. After missing a deer to a low batterie and went back to open sights. I have good vision and don't know yours but my 2 cents if you practice enough and get to know you gun it's the most reliable. I have taken deer out to two hundred yard with open sight.

Guys in the group shoot sbe 2 with Eco tech and swear by them. Reason being is because in nasty weather the other brands have IMO have a better chance of the bolt closing allowing the firing pin not contacting (probably dirt). The sbe is gas chamber and in my experience seems to operate better in cold/nasty weather.

This info is my 2 cents and experience.

My dads 11-87 with a hastings cantilever barrel has been flawless and is very accurate. I have killed a lot of deer with it. I bought a savage 220 stainless for this year and cannot wait to use it. Feels just like a rifle and has amazing accuracy. Not a semi auto though.

Savage 220 bolt actions are crazy accurate. Sold one to a friend of mine Friday. Asked him Saturday how it sighted in. He laughed and said its amazing. Shot a buck at 125 yds Sunday during MN gun season.

My new favorite semi-auto is the Browning Silver Hunter 20 ga. They are the nicest looking slug gun I've seen. Rightfully so for $1200 bones. Extremely accurate and lightweight. Not easy to find but Ive had a few go thru the shop lately. Almost to nice for the woods. Great cantilever setup too.

I've had or do own SBE's, Beretta Xtrema2, Rem 1100 and 11-87, Browning Silver and Gold. But the best all around auto slug gun I've owned is my SX3.
I've have 2 buddies that own the Savage bolt guns and they are tackdrivers.

The sbe is gas chamber and...

...in my experience seems to operate better in cold/nasty weather.
Sorry to correct, but the SBE is inertia operated, not gas.

I will agree that the sbe will perform regardless of conditions.

I have used my sbeII for deer for several years now. Rifled barrel, and Nikon pro staff 3x9-40, and I group much better than most of the other 12ga slug guns in my party. Reason I can accuratly say this, I sight in +90% of the guns that get used.

Although its a bit pricey, i have never regretted buyin the barrel for my benelli. You can buy a whole new slug gun for $600 much less just a barrel.. but its a gun I'm extremely comfortable shooting, and I'm more than confident I'll make any shot given to me. Confidence is a large portion of a shooters success.

I wouldn't recommend going out to buy one just for deer... but if you already had one, I'd recommend getting the barrel for it

Savage 220 bolt actions are crazy accurate. Sold one to a friend of mine Friday. Asked him Saturday how it sighted in. He laughed and said its amazing. Shot a buck at 125 yds Sunday during MN gun season.

My new favorite semi-auto is the Browning Silver Hunter 20 ga. They are the nicest looking slug gun I've seen. Rightfully so for $1200 bones. Extremely accurate and lightweight. Not easy to find but Ive had a few go thru the shop lately. Almost to nice for the woods. Great cantilever setup too.

I have a Browning Gold Deer Hunter and I love it. It was a pricey beast but it is a sweet shooting semi-auto. We stand hunt pretty much exclusively and it is a deer slayer...

One thing I will point out, it is a gas operated so cleaning is essential. If you do not keep them clean, they WILL hang on you at the worst possible time. You must clean the shipping grease out of it before shooting and do a routine yearly maintenance. If you do this, it will perform flawless for you.

I like the gas operated semi's as I think they help lessen the recoil. That said, the SBE is quite a machine but even more pricey than my Browning...

I learned all of this the hard way...

Last edited:
Sorry to correct, but the SBE is inertia operated, not gas.

I will agree that the sbe will perform regardless of conditions.

I have used my sbeII for deer for several years now. Rifled barrel, and Nikon pro staff 3x9-40, and I group much better than most of the other 12ga slug guns in my party. Reason I can accuratly say this, I sight in +90% of the guns that get used.

Although its a bit pricey, i have never regretted buyin the barrel for my benelli. You can buy a whole new slug gun for $600 much less just a barrel.. but its a gun I'm extremely comfortable shooting, and I'm more than confident I'll make any shot given to me. Confidence is a large portion of a shooters success.

I wouldn't recommend going out to buy one just for deer... but if you already had one, I'd recommend getting the barrel for it

JRudd
You are right,thanks for the correction. I guess I had lots to say and got distracted.

not a semi auto, but the remington 870 super slug, is the first pump gun remington has made specifically for slug shooting. barrel is pinned to the reciever, and has a better trigger than a normal 870.

Top Bottom