Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Snowshoes ?

RichardM

I was wondering if anyone owns snowshoes or has used them before...I was thinking about getting a pair i go yote and shed hunting alot and thought it might be a little easier than busting thrugh every step i take,so are they worth it?

Yup. It takes a little getting used to the stride and how wide they are but it beats struggling through the deep snow. Only problem is in timber and side hills.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Only problem is in timber and side hills.

</div></div>

I tried them last year and I thought they were almost too much work. Kept having to take them off to go in the timber and carry them, tried to wear them in the timber and fell a lot. Not to good for corn stalks either. If there was nothing but a lot of deep snow then they would be fine.

I used to use them a LOT for fox hunting. Sidehills and timber aren't so bad once you get used to it. They are kinda tough in corn stubble but you learn to choose your steps. You can't cross a fence with them on unless the drifts are high enough for you to just step over it.

Sure makes walking a lot easier.

I think I have 3 pair. All are really old. I have a 5ft wood/rawhide leather bindings about 10in wide and curved up noses. These are for adult males. I weigh 200 and I sink in about 6inches with these. I used a friends pair yesterday morning for coyote hunting and he had a 4ft x 8in version with the wood/rawhide with curved up nose I sunk about 8inches or so.

Still easier than walking through 24+ inches of snow.

There is a trick to turning around as well. You dont just turn on a dime.

I've got some wooden bear paw ones. Pretty hefty. I think the new ones that aren't wood are lighter and easier to use.

Top Bottom