Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Son's AZ Unit 10 Youth Elk Hunt

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
I always realize I'm not on here near as much as I used to be and then I realize how much I miss being on this site. I keep replaying Friday afternoon, Oct 6, in my mind and am so proud of our son, Jacob. I'm also thankful for the friends (family) that helped make this happen. "Grandpa" Goose and my buddy, Christian, made this hunt even more special. We were glassing in Unit 10 Friday afternoon, looking for a cow elk that we (Christian) spotted that morning over 2000 yards away bedded between two junipers. Youth elk tags in Arizona are all antlerless elk tags. A bull bugled to our right down in or across the canyon immediately east of us. We knew he had to have cows with him. While making a plan, I decided we didn't need three people going in. That was too many bodies and, therefore, too many chances for something to go wrong. I stayed back with the gear while Jacob and Christian went in to look and, hopefully, make something happen. I know when it's time to let go and time for someone else to lead him, especially someone I trust wholeheartedly. 10 minutes later, at 4:40 pm, I heard the shot, followed by the wracking of the action of Jacob's 300WM. Then dead silence. Nobody answered my radio or text inquiries. This dad was shaking, but confident. Jacob is an ice-cold shooter. My radio went off at almost 4pm letting me know Jacob hit a cow solidly. She entered a thick clump of junipers and never came out. I grabbed the gear and headed down to Jacob and Christian. I got the full download. Jacob made a perfect 357-yard shot on a slightly quartering-away mature cow. Christian kept eyes on the area while Jacob and I picked our way across the canyon. Christian guided us in perfectly after seeing her fall and tumble down the canyon side. Jacob paid his respects to his elk and helped me drag her 15 yards down the canyon to the wash where we could process her easier. We got some great trophy pics before we ran out of light and began the hard work. Fortunately, Christian and Goose were able to drive Christian's Pioneer right up to the elk. The ride out on the tailgate of the Pioneer was beautiful under the stars. I got my chance to say thanks to all those above who watched over us. That's when my emotions caught up to me. I lost track of how many times I hugged Jacob.

Sunrise.jpeg
Jacob Glassing_Resize.jpg
Jacob Elk_Resize.jpg
Jacob_Christian_Goose_Resize.jpg
Jacob_Dad_Resize.jpg
Jacob_Dad_Christian_Resize.jpg
Jacob Sunset_Resize.jpg

Awesome stuff!! Congrats to all!!

FWIW, I don't who the gentleman is in the Hoyt hat...but I do know his doppelganger back here in Iowa. :) I seriously do know someone that looks A LOT like him.

That my friend is awesome!!!! That is one of the most beautiful areas of AZ for sure and to draw and capitalize on a hunt there would be incredible! Great pics and story

Give Jacob a big congrats from me!

That my friend is awesome!!!! That is one of the most beautiful areas of AZ for sure and to draw and capitalize on a hunt there would be incredible! Great pics and story

Give Jacob a big congrats from me!
Thanks, Jarin! Its been way too long. You know you're always welcome down here!

Great story and love the pics. That boy is growing up fast!
WAY TOO FAST! He'll be 16 in December. UP next is my Coues hunt starting Nov 10 and then his youth deer hunt (Coues only for him) starting on Nov 24. We'll be having a campout Thanksgiving down southeast of Tucson!

Top Bottom