Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota Phesant Hunt 2015

Mr. Deeds

Starting to do some research and getting a few buddies interest in going up to South Dakota next fall. Can anyone provide any info on previous experiences, did you book an outfitter, hunt it on your own, much for public ground? Any info helps!

Good friend of mine was DNR in South Dakota for a few years- I will ask him about public hunting in SD and let you know

I'm in and might have another from this forum if you are serious.
I can do some digging also on where to go.

We always fish oahe during the pheasant opener and talk with the pheasant hunters at breakfast. The last few years the hunters that hunt the public ground in the Pierre area claim it has been tough but keep in mind that what they call tough pheasant hunting in South Dakota is pry still ten times better than Iowa. There were plenty of birds being cleaned. A friend of mine went up and hunted public land in the chamberlain area in November and said the hunting was great. Another group of friends just got back from the Aberdeen area Saturday. They went the semi-guided route through a lodge on private ground. The owner of the lodge was there to meet them when they arrived. He unlocked their cabin and the cleaning station then gave them a map of his property and left. They had all 4000 acres to themselves and said they had a blast. Might want to consider going later in the year for that reason.

I have a dog I plan on taking. Shes a 7 month old chocolate lab that does decent but still needs a lot of learning. Have been trying to find someone with a good bird dog that I could let her hunt with. I am pretty serious about this trip, will probably go the public land route though as I was looking through some outfitters prices and don't feel like paying that much for one day at this point. I am gonna do some more research on some public ground. Will probably look at staying in Southeast-East South Dakota unless anyone has a spot they really recommend?

I have a dog I plan on taking. Shes a 7 month old chocolate lab that does decent but still needs a lot of learning. Have been trying to find someone with a good bird dog that I could let her hunt with. I am pretty serious about this trip, will probably go the public land route though as I was looking through some outfitters prices and don't feel like paying that much for one day at this point. I am gonna do some more research on some public ground. Will probably look at staying in Southeast-East South Dakota unless anyone has a spot they really recommend?

I am pretty sure that I could find out quite a bit also due to having a couple of friends that hunt there every year. I myself would go yet this year if I could find someone that wanted to go. You can never get a young dog on to many birds to early.

Also in south Dakota your license is good one year from when you buy it from what I've been told. Have had many buddies go late in the year and use the same license the following year from the sounds of it.

I've hunted quite a few different areas in South Dakota. The Gregory County area has been the best overall. Pierre and Chamberlain are both very good areas. Aberdeen and north is also good, and you will see fewer hunters and more walk in land in that area.

Call some of the lodge/resorts and see if they have any deals for late season?

Good luck in your endeavor! I went up last year to hunt public ground around Plankinton and Hartford. It's not too far of a drive from SW Iowa up that way. I stayed with a guy that I had sold a Brittany too, and we didnt' get started hunting until mid afternoon on any of the three days. We saw plenty of birds all three days on all the public ground we hunted. This was in early November, so it wasn't that busy, and I'm sure the birds were a little jumpy from the previous weeks of being hunted. There is a booklet available that shows all the public ground spots, just be sure to use non-lead shot.

The state pays landowners to open their ground to public hunting, they publish a book of maps every year with all of this land listed. You can order the book from the state late summer, I think it is free.

The license is good for two 5 day periods and cost $120 this year.

I hunt on my BIL families land but know people that have gained access by knocking on doors ,people are fairly laid back and friendly. One year we had a farmer stop and talk to us and then tell us he owned the section across the road, go ahead and hunt if you want.

Never got your message Brandon. Thank you all for your input and information though. I really appreciate it. I have looked more into it and am slightly confused as to way I have to used lead free shot and why they want more steel shot. I mysely am not entirely a fan of steel shot for upland gamebirds as opposed to waterfowl (have had previous experiences of steel shot vs. phesant...3 shots later the phesant went down) but I suppose if that is what I have to use I will do more reseaching on what steel shot is the best for phesants. I am curious though more about the private land for public access. I did read some about some landowners releasing their ground to the public. I am trying to establish a connection though with someone from that area that can shed more light on this. I would like to know if this is more of "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC" or OPEN TO THE "PUBLIC" as in the landowner gets to select what "public" hunts the ground (out of state hunters vs. instate hunters.)

Look to here more from you all in the future. I know a few of my friends are already excited about the idea. Would be great if a few of you would want to join as well!

Well, I have a good GSP/Brittany mix, but he's a pointer, not a flusher like most labs. He hunts well with other dogs, and always gets better each season. Finally got most of the puppy out of him after five years. I'd be willing to come up and help "guide".

The land the state leases for the walk in hunter program is open to anyone, just like any public hunting area. They publish an atlas every year that you can order from the state late summer, I think it is free.

I am pretty sure steel shot is only required on waterfowl refuge areas, I know it isn't on private lands.

Went out pheasant hunting today on a private 80 acre native grass piece. Saw about 20 birds. Got the great experience of my dog Maggie flushing both birds for me about 15 yards out and getting to bring them back to me. Although today seemed like a great day of hunting, I'm sure its nothing compared to what the dakotas have to offer and I can't wait to go up there.

Top Bottom