Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South West Iowa - Mills County

louisiana boy

I drew shotgun tags for the first season in Mills county, near Malvern on a large farm. How has the trophy potential been in this area over the last two years? What can we expect? thanks in advance

What kind of trophy? Lots of spike bucks. Large farm near Malvern insures you will hear a domestic dispute.

Honestly, you will likely run into other hunters. Your best bet is to park near the road and sit all day in the best spot. Let everyone else push em to you.

Its SW Iowa- there are big deer everywhere

it did get hit with EHD but there are still big deer to be killed- I agree with above- let the other orange army do the pushing for you. If you sit tight- they will funnel into you and you will get your opportunities!

My family lives right outside of Malvern. I know the area very well. EHD really took its toll as said before, but my brother shot a 164 5/8 10 pt on his second morning down there. The river timbers get ran really hard first season by big groups. So if your anywhere near there get a good vantage point and sit tight. The deer will be there.

Not to sound like an ass. But why wouldnt you research this before you even attempt to draw a tag? Do some homework...

The owners of the property, the farmers, say that they see tons of huge bucks. But they aren't hunters so it's hard to discuss deer hunting with them. Besides they are friends, invited us to hunt and we applied for tags - wasn't a blind draw. And I've had other friends who have hunted in neighboring Fremont county who have killed monsters over the years. Just looking for tips to make hunt successful

The owners of the property, the farmers, say that they see tons of huge bucks. But they aren't hunters so it's hard to discuss deer hunting with them. Besides they are friends, invited us to hunt and we applied for tags - wasn't a blind draw. And I've had other friends who have hunted in neighboring Fremont county who have killed monsters over the years. Just looking for tips to make hunt successful

I would bet that you will do fine, big farm good area...

Just look at the aerials in the area you are allowed to hunt and find a funnel. Others will end up pushing deer to you and if not, you'll see plenty of deer travelling through. I see you haven't gotten alot of help on this thread yet, but that's my advice. Hunt the deer just like you would anywhere else. Either way, good luck!

Yes the nishnabotna river is what I was referring to. Southeast of town and south from there is a big group that pushes that entire area. Set up accordingly and you should be good.

Top Bottom