Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southwest Iowa Trophy Buck Potential

louisiana boy

Gang: I'll drew a tag to hunt during the first shotgun season in malvern, iowa -- mills county. I will be hunting a 4000 acre farm that is seldomly hunted, however, the owner and my invitee doesn't deer hunt.

What can i expect as far as trophy potential in this area?

Thanks in advance.

barbwire.gif

Welcome to iowawhitetail! :)

What are your expectations for a Trophy buck? :confused:

There are very few good deer left in Southwest Iowa. If you hunt hard and have enough time a person might expect to harvest a 120 class deer??????? However, there isn't one that big hiding behind every tree.
feedback.gif

barbwire.gif

The only people I know who can consistantly shoot a 150 or better are guys on this site. And they spend all season preparing while sitting in the tree forever to do it. You can show up in Iowa and do it, but it's not as easy as people think. Good luck:way:

The SW part of the state, while it holds a few giants, 150 is usually the bigger end of what I see..They are not as common as people think, and as said, they guys that do shoot them put in time after time. Good luck though :way:

I talk to guys that just secured 1000, 2000, 10,000 acres in IA that is "seldom hunted" and then they come to find out every guy in the area gun drives it come gun season and/or there's stands all over it. NOT saying you're situation isn't what the guy told you BUT in most cases I see, it ain't quite the case. I've yet to see a 1,000 acre area that seldom gets hunted and I've been in lots of areas. BUT, I hope it is what he said.

In any case, if you have a solid piece of private land that at a minimum, gets medium to low amount of pressure and you don't have guys blowing the crap outta it in gun season, you'll have big deer and good hunting. Good luck this fall!

I've certainly learned that things aren't always what they appear to be and its very possible that this place gets smashed by hunters. we'll see.

I wouldnt say that there could be a lot of pressure on land around but its still 4000 acres and there could be a lot of deer that use it and a couple nice ones that hide around in there eith way a deer scoring 130 would still be a nice kill. Goodluck let us know how it goes.

It is possible, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen. If I was hunting 4,000ac all to myself during shotgun 1 I would be sitting in a stand located in the nearest funnel that leads to the nastiest cover you can find. The deer will be running scared and if that farm really isn't hunted that much they will head there to find cover.

4000 acres is over six square miles if I did my math right. That is very uncommon in this area for one person to own that much continuous ground. But good luck to ya. I would purchase a Mills County Platt Book if I was you.

Top Bottom