Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stolen Trail Cam

mudflytrucks

I had a trail camera stolen this pass week.. On land that my family has owned for 50yrs. This camera had been in the same location since the being of season.With No problems. So I am looking for some ideas along with locking the camera to the tree. So that this (Scum Of The Earth) will think twice about making this mistake again. Any ideas from past experiences would be Great. Second cameras, Signs, Spray paint bombs, ?? Thanks!

hey full draw

sorry to hear about that some ppl are just down right rude.

sadly it has happened to me also a couple times...
they make lock boxes for most of todays cams so you can lock them to the tree...

what i did was put my cam up on the trail and then set a second cam up that took pics of anything near my first cam, ended up being a kid from the neighboring prop drove right up to the first cam on a quad and i recognized the quad went to his house told his father. the boy turned the cam over without getting the law involved...

he didnt think i would have two cams that close together /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif just make sure you hide the 2nd cam really well..

but signs are also a great help, hopefully you catch this guy or teach him to stay out.. good luck

I have thought of putting a cam high in a tree focused down on the actual trail cam. The only way they would see it is if they looked high in the tree and to get to it they would have to shoot it down or chain saw the tree. a climbing stand or ladder would be needed of course.

What a bunch of work to catch a POS

hoofline.gif

This is what I use. No problems so far.

8413dpf.jpg

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
rwyllie@iowawhitetail.com

This is just my opinion, but I think if someone knew their picture was taken on one of your cams, they're going to do everything in their power including cutting down the tree to get your cam. I think the best deterrent you can use is an IR cam. ( no flash ) Don't set it on any main trail, and try to disguise it the best you can without affecting the picture quality. Sorry to hear what you're going through. Nothing worse than getting ripped off, regardless what it is.
Critter

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. It's already been said but the best thing I can come up with is to put out another cam, perhaps a sacrificial cam if possible... some POS that's ready for the heap anyway. Then put an IR cam up in the tree above it looking down. Scoutgaurd would be a prime choice due to their small size. Just hide it like no other so you don't wind up minus 2 cams. Good chance though that somebody was just passing through and won't be back anytime soon. After they pull something like that, they have to know somebody's going to be gunning for them. If nothing else, do this next shed season that's probably when they'll be back.

rambo 1st blood has some pretty good ideas for traps you can lay for trespassers. some people!!!

i was thinking you could get a grenade that has had the explosive drained from it and rig it up to look like the camera is booby-trapped. no one would touch it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dominator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was thinking you could get a grenade that has had the explosive drained from it and rig it up to look like the camera is booby-trapped. no one would touch it. </div></div>

and attach a small sign, "touch this and you will blow up" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Really sucks, happened to me also & I had THREE locks on it. Thought about putting a transmitter in mine & track them down but that's too costly. I do agree with the 2nd camera mounted above, that's next move.

One other longshot, especially if it's a cam you could recognize, would be to put a WTB ad in the local paper for game cameras. Sounds obvious since we're here talking about it but someone stupid enough to steal one may well be stupid enough to try and sell it back to the original owner unknowingly. Just don't use your home phone # and meet them somewhere for the buy.

Never done it myself before, but really a guys should make sure he's got his initials somewhere hidden inside the cam so it could be identified at a later date. You'd probably have a hard time convincing anyone that it was your camera, unless it was marked in such a way that only you could identify it.

I did this when my cuddeback was stolen. I angled a no flash right above the camera at approx 10 feet right above another. I actually got a man checking the card and putting the card back in. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any pictures, and the ones I got were in acouple days of checking it myself. I still don't know who it is, but her better never let me catch him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought of putting a cam high in a tree focused down on the actual trail cam. The only way they would see it is if they looked high in the tree and to get to it they would have to shoot it down or chain saw the tree. a climbing stand or ladder would be needed of course.

What a bunch of work to catch a POS </div></div>

I'd be posting the pictures of the intruder (like above scenario) all over the internet trying to find out who it is, i'd include a generic area location of the land as well.

someone on this thread monthes back had a good idea, tag it state property, tracking device installed on the outside, may slow them down, just a thought. with the economy getting worse, i would take extra procossion to see that things were well hidden, locked --and a double cam set up higher that just may bust the theif!

That is actually a very good idea ibowbigbucks. I have those bear safe lockable boxes now, but if someone wants it bad enough, they would still be able to take it. The problem is that I have a large timber area surrounded by other large timber, people could venture in the back way and I would never know. Also, I live in wisconsin, so the locals down there know when I am there and not. I knew this would be a problem from the start, but hoped that the people in that area would respect the land and me as a owner.....I guess I was wrong again.

landBarron,
im with you, we have to do what we can to protect each other, the way econ is, we need to be more cautious. its getting to the point were hunting theives , instead of Deer.if you read one of my previous posts, i had a 360 stolen & the guy left my steps! , he had to be carring bolt cutters just for that purpose as it was locked and chained.good luck to you.
happiness is a large rack!

This has worked for me before. I do not padlock the cams and I have bright orange sticker on the back of the cameras that says:
Property of U.S. Fish and Game Services
Tampering with this device is prohibited by law (made up statute number)
GPS tracking unit enclosed.

Then I have another sticker below that explaining all photos are stored on the memory card and then I directions on how to remove the memory card from the camera. I have found my camera 3 times now with the memory card gone but the camera still in good condition. The key is you have to use US fish and Game Services because an organization like that does not exist, to knowledge anyways. If you used like DNR or us fish and wildlife they told me I could get in trouble for using there name. So would not reccomend it.

Top Bottom