Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stuffer deke question.

Parker VH

I'm planning on mounting a tom to use as a deke and was wondering if you guys would mount it as a full strutter or semi-strut ? I'm not out to just kill the dominant bird in every area that I hunt as any longbeard is a trophy to me so I thought maybe the semi-strut similar to the Dave Smith decoy pose would be a good choice.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Thats alot of dough to fork out to use as a decoy, but if you must, and your asking for my opinion, I would mount it in full strut, and use a standard jake decoy for your "half" strut days...

Anytime I've seen really really good reactions to stuffed decoys they were 1/2 to 3/4 strut.

I have a mounted tom that I use that is full strut, He is a mature bird. Ive been using him for 3 years now and I wouldnt use anything else. I have used him in Iowa, Wyoming, and Oklahoma, and everything runs right in and tries to kill him. I would say about a 90% success rate is what you can expect. There are a few birds that wont come but I think those are the birds that just do what they want period. I dont think you'll be disappointed either way though.

Thanks guys. Luckily I hunt with a taxidermist who'll mount it for me very reasonably. He has a full strut tom himself as well as a hen so far. I definitely want to have a hen mounted also.
As far a hen is concerned, are domestic hens suitable to mount or do they differ in appearance from a wild bird? I figured I could just buy one from a farm to have it mounted or I could probably find someone who raises the wild strain and buy one from them.

Top Bottom