Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass Burn Time?

darkhollow1

PMA Member
I have about a 5-7 acre field of switchgrass. I have been considering trying to burn it to help it out a little. When is the best time to burn the switch having the least effect on the wildlife that lives in it?

Right now I would say. I burnt mine 2 weeks ago and it is starting to come up already...the cool season stuff anyways

After the cool season grasses are green but before mid April to avoid nesting birds. If this is the only area of grass on your farm you may want to consider dividing it into two areas if possible and only burn one area this year and the other one next year. This would leave some cover for the wildlife.

[ QUOTE ]
it is starting to come up already...the cool season stuff anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it's too early to burn switchgrass...if you prefer to maintain a thick pure stand of switch.

Here's the general rules regarding burning prairie grasses.

1) If you want a mixed stand of forbs, cool seasons and a "not so thick" stand of prairie grass...burn now thru mid-April

2) If you prefer a thick pure stand of switchgrass (or any of the native grasses) then burn late April to mid-May or even later.

As already noted, burning later is hard on ground nesting birds so burning a portion of your grass easch year...rather then the whole thing would be best.

Managing your prairie is like managing timber...everyone has different goals and each must decide what is most important.

For thickest rankest deer bedding cover...burn later, but if quail or pheasant cover and nesting are important then burning earlier will protect nesting birds and diversify your prairie grass stand.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom