Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

T3 style 5 yard partial decapitation! "Doubled Up and Tagged Out"

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
Alex, Everly, and myself hit the woods together this weekend in an effort to fill 3 tags. We ended up filling 2/3 on one of the most exciting hunts I've ever been on! We took out the Widow Maker (fan on stick) and it once again showed it's worth. A quick stalk T3 style and two shots later (one being at 5yards!!!) and Alex and I were tagged out. Special thanks to Everly for running the camera. He not only can kill critters, but is one heck of a videographer! :way:

Check out the footage!
http://chrisandblake.bowhuntingroad.com/2012/05/15/t3-style-5-yard-head-shot-double/

Still Image from the video camera
040.jpg

I tell you what. She is a heck of a shot. Looks like the top of the head is gone. That close is tough. Congrats to both of you on a super hunt. Your right about the camera man.

How cool was that. I bet that was pretty wild having them hammer in your face like that. Awesome hunt congrats to you both.

Nice job, cuz!

(sorry, couldn't resist that now that we know how small this world really is)

That is just crazy! Congrats to all!! That fan on a stick thing really works. Does it ever not work, where a bird turns from it and heads the other way or do they always fall for it?

After seeing one of your videos and another one like it, my son tried a variant of this trick earlier this season, but with a whole full bodied decoy with a fan. Short story...the trick worked perfectly, but then he blew a point blank shot. This has to be the newest, bestest turkey hunting technique I have seen in years!

That is nuts!! I am might have to try that the last day of the season with the bow. We have 3 toms that are very stubborn and wont commit to decoys. Seems like it would be tough to pull off with a bow but you never know I guess.

That is just crazy! Congrats to all!! That fan on a stick thing really works. Does it ever not work, where a bird turns from it and heads the other way or do they always fall for it?

After seeing one of your videos and another one like it, my son tried a variant of this trick earlier this season, but with a whole full bodied decoy with a fan. Short story...the trick worked perfectly, but then he blew a point blank shot. This has to be the newest, bestest turkey hunting technique I have seen in years!

First off, Congrats Chris and Alex! You guys are putting down some awesome footage and amzing success.

Second, is that this trick does not always work. Like anything, there is negatives to it. It can kill a bird in 20 seconds but it can also cause a lot of grief when birds are shy, not strutting, or when for whatever reason just doesn't pan out. I, like Chris and and Alex, have had ama zing success with it, but I would say it works about 1/3 of the time. It's not the fan on a stick that fails the hunt, its the circumstances. I have had my best luck with strutting toms, dominant older birds that want to fight, and where deer or other critters don't get in your way. Another circumstance that has proven critical is terrain. When you can call at a tom and he is holding up with a hen and you can sneak behind a terrace or hill and pop that fan up to him between where he heard that hen yelp (your call), he is almost guaranteed to come in running... Unless he is a chicken.

Either way, it is definitely a blast that does work with amazing success as you've all seen. Again, congrats you two. You are making some Kodak moments!

Thanks for all of the feedback! It truly was unreal having them in so close before shooting...nothing between us but the fan! :)

Daver, BrewCrew did a great job answering your questions. Also, I know of some other buddies out there who are on this site who have been killing turks like this for years....hopefully they will chime in!

I would say that in the past, I have had it work maybe 1/4 of the time (still good odds). Sometimes you can go a whole weekend and not have it work, and other times you can go on a run and kill 4/4 birds you use it on! Usually, you won't spook the birds...sometimes they just wont come in, and sometimes they will be 'intimidated' and walk the other way.

There are so many different variables to success while using this; terrain, birds mood, distance of travel, etc.

I've gotta go to work now, but I will get back on here once I get home and post up what I've found to increase my odds while using this method :way:

Chris,

It sure looks like your bird has a little Rio in him or something. Much lighter feathers than Alex's bird. I assume you guys were in Iowa?

Thanks for all of the feedback! It truly was unreal having them in so close before shooting...nothing between us but the fan! :)

Daver, BrewCrew did a great job answering your questions. Also, I know of some other buddies out there who are on this site who have been killing turks like this for years....hopefully they will chime in!

I would say that in the past, I have had it work maybe 1/4 of the time (still good odds). Sometimes you can go a whole weekend and not have it work, and other times you can go on a run and kill 4/4 birds you use it on! Usually, you won't spook the birds...sometimes they just wont come in, and sometimes they will be 'intimidated' and walk the other way.

There are so many different variables to success while using this; terrain, birds mood, distance of travel, etc.

I've gotta go to work now, but I will get back on here once I get home and post up what I've found to increase my odds while using this method :way:

Interesting...so far my son is 1 for 1 on trying it. (Although he missed the shot, the bird was 100% fooled and walked into his lap so I consider the use of the technique a success.) Follow up question...if there are times when it does not work do you feel like you have educated a bird, only to make him tougher to kill another time?

I just wish we had enough turks on our place to try this on, our season has been a near total wasteland. Very few birds around, for miles in any direction, from what we used to have.

Chris - Alex,

Another great video segment for the rest of us to enjoy. It is really pleasant to see a young couple like yourself enjoying the outdoors together.

Definately the best video of the turkey season! I would love to see what they would have done next, had you guys not shot. Congrats on the double and awesome video.

Top Bottom