Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ticks-Heads Up:

loneranger

With the drought I did not see a tick all Summer. Now with rain in SE Iowa, and warm,, saw a couple small blcck ticks on my arm last week. Sat,,somehow,,one got into my beard without me noticing. It was stuck. Drew blood. Small black, so off to the Doc for antibiotics. Take no chances. I have tomatoes still ripening and wife has roses still blooming. Has not been that cold in my part of Iowa, and ticks are out there, so beware!

X2...I hunt down in Vernon County, WI and pulled a deer tick off my dog today and also one off myself. Did not have a tick on me all summer. I have also been dealing with Lyme disease for over 7 years now...it is a very nasty and debilitating disease. Be careful and check for ticks.

I picked up what I'm sure is a deer tick Oct. 13 (Johnson Co, IA). Hope to get into the Dr. office tomorrow, probably shouldn't have waited but there was no bulls-eye rash. Still, better to get on the antibiotics ASAP, as it is cheap insurance.

Yea,,I thot about testing the tick,,but doc said the antibiotics are not hard on you, and they are cheap and effective. also said there is not always a rash evident. Symptoms can not develope right away. I am on pills now. Better safe than sorry. Rotten little things from the Devil !:mad:

When setting up this last weekend on the ground I had 3 crawling on the outside of my coveralls. Could not believe that as I am located in NE Iowa in Fayette County and we have had some real cold nights.

Ya pulled one Sunday late evening must a just got embedded back of leg. Cedar co. area. Didn't go to doc yet maybe I should after all the antibiotic comments. Thanks for info. guys.:drink2::drink1:

Ya pulled one Sunday late evening must a just got embedded back of leg. Cedar co. area. Didn't go to doc yet maybe I should after all the antibiotic comments. Thanks for info. guys.:drink2::drink1:
Just got off the phone with the Dr. office, they are phoning in a 'script to the pharmacy without seeing me. Saves everybody time and money. :way: Might help that this isn't the first time, had a deer tick spring turkey season 2010. :mad: Dr. probably figures I know what I'm talking about by now.

You guys get antibiotics every time you get a tick?? I would be taking them daily. I have herd if you take antibiotics all the time they will eventually stop working.

You guys get antibiotics every time you get a tick?? I would be taking them daily. I have herd if you take antibiotics all the time they will eventually stop working.

Agreed, I am literally a tick magnet of all kinds. I bet I pulled at least 20 off of me this summer that were attached and that's not counting the hundreds I brushed off prior to attaching.

I am sure a few were small deer ticks but mostly not. Does the doc always give prescription without seeing you guys?

I can only speak for myself, but antibiotics once every two years shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest issue is those people who don't take all of the medication, which can lead to antibiotic resistance. Complete the full prescription and things should be ok. I'd rather take antibiotics than have Lyme disease get a stronghold before treatment.

I usually don't worry about wood ticks, but when I get a deer tick, I have an immune response that feels like I've had a chemical burn at the site. That is how I found both of the last two, looking because it felt like I had been in poison ivy or something.

Ya, ended up with a bit of redness startin from wher I pulled deer tick from 2 days later went to doc automatically put on anti biotics. Doc says this year a great percentage of em have lymes disease so they treat it not take a chance. SO DON'T TICK BITES LIGHTLY! HOPIN FOR COLD WEATHER TO HELP THAT OUT

Doc said the anti- for Lyme is mild on the body but effective for the disease. No brainer antibiotics or Lyme disease.

1'st day of last years hunt in Iowa i found one in the middle of my back that i couldnt reach..had burrowed in. Had to go to the ER to get the darn thing cut out...i hate them. that was nove 1

Was out last night hanging a stand on a new property in N.E. Iowa and sure enough when I looked down there was a deer tick making his way up my right pant leg. I have made a habit of spraying my pants down with a dilution of permethrin that I picked up at Farm & Fleet last year, and it did the trick again last night. Every time I have been out this fall working on stands I have had deer ticks on my pant legs and every time I watch them crawl about 6-12" before they fall off... dead. The only down side to the product is it leaves a slight chemical smell once it dries. I am not sure if it would bother deer or not so I did a little looking last night and ended up ordering the Sawyer permethrin spray that claims to be odorless. Even if its not 100% scent free I will use it if it works. I would rather hunt the wind than hunt for ticks every time I hit the woods.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...rmethrin-liquid-concentrate.html#.UImjsWcsHG0

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Permet...=1351197662&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+permethrin

Wal Mart has Sawyers stuff works great comes in a spray bottle vs. Repels permethrin aerosol can. Between me and my son we had 7 on us Sunday morning never even thought about them or I would have treated our clothes. I hate them these were all real small but I don't think they were deer ticks. Looked more brown than black maybe young dog ticks?

Sagittarius a doe on Sunday morning. Found one tick on the doe. Didn't loo real hard. Found one on my arm later and hunted the evening and two more fell off me while iwas sitting the stand. After a shower. Keep your eyes open. Deer tics as well.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom