Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Time Well Spent

spinefxr

PMA Member
I took my six year old out in the ground blind for the first time Saturday afternoon. I put him through my usual de-scenting routine, and we got into the blind about 5:00 p.m. We didn't see anything, and at dark we walked out to the truck. I was disappointed for him because we didn't see a deer. On the drive out of the field he goes "It's OK we didn't see a deer, I still had fun, can we go again tomorrow?"
Just wanted to share.
smile.gif

I know what you are talking about. I took my son with me for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We did not see anything either but he keeps bugging me to go again. With harvest and school the only time I really have to take him now is on Sunday evenings, and dad does not like hunting in 80 degree weather. So we are waiting for cooler weather for him to go along. I did buy a special doe only tag that I really want to try and fill when he is with me. That would be great to do.

You can't beat that time together. It beats t.v., video games or anything else. My six year old went last year and feel in love with the sport. I have yet to take a deer with him, but he still loves to go. I always go home and get my two oldest when its time to retreive the deer. I don't know who is more excited. Them or me
busted.gif

mole

I put a double set of stands up this year about 15-20 yards apart for my son as well as video opportunities that may come up.
My eight year old son went with me and sat in his own stand. We didn't see any deer on Sunday morning but had a coyote yipp'n and a grey squirrel sqealing not far from him. I could tell he had sat long enough so we climbed down about 8:30. All he could talk about was where we should sit next time so we could get a shot at a deer. He is hooked.
waytogo.gif

I know what you guys mean. My sons first hunt last year we had over 20 does a couple of smaller bucks and a flock of turkeys come through. we were not in the stand for more than 10 minutes before the action started, and it stayed that way even for the walk out. To say he is hooked is an understatement, I wish I had a doe tag with me that day, I had a turkey tag but couldnt draw on them becuase the deer would have caught my movement. Anyway I cant get out of the house with out him anymore, or without a fuss at minimum. I have been lucky so far and not had any dry runs with him along, I am afraid hes a bit spoiled already.

Father son times are the best! I got my oldest son, age 11, an early season muzzy tag this year and he loved it! He couldn't wait to go again after every trip. He did shoot a decent 8 pointer too, about 131". But I must confess that he shot it the first Saturday of the season and we found it the second Saturday. Let's just say the meat couldn't be saved.
bleh[1].gif

He was very proud nevertheless and we did cut the rack off and bring it home. He was quite disappointed when I explained that his season was over and wanted to know when he could get another license. He almost cried when I told him next year. So ol' dad decided right then and there to get him his first turkey tag, as we saw several turkeys on every trip into the woods. So he is back in business for this weekend and feeling pretty sporty again.
rambo.gif

Took my two oldest sons this weekend. They were chomping at the bit after watching their older sister go out the door with me for the youth season. The warm weather was the perfect time to introduce them to sitting in a stand. They both did very well & even though we saw no deer, the squirrels and one coyote more then made up for it. Both are ready to go again. Great times ahead! Maggs

How old do you guys think a kid needs to be before you should take them to the woods for their first hunt?

I've been debating on this the last couple of months and would like some feedback that will aid in my decision.

Thanks.

Old enough to know what is going on and a desire to go. I know I started bow hunting when I was 10 and would have sooner if I could have found a strong enough bow. Can't remember how old I was when I first sat in a stand with my father, but I remember it. I would say it depends on the kid. If they want to go - take them.

I don't think you can put an exact age on when it is the right time to get them started with a first hunt.

I think the most important thing to remember here is to keep it enjoyable and fun for them. Many good short trips to the timber are much better than one long one where they get tired or bored. You know better than anyone when your kid is ready to call it quits.

My kids started with some short squirrel hunts at age 5. My son will now sit in his own tree stand for a couple of hours at age 8. I have a couple of stands set up close to each other for this purpose. Each individual kid will progress with their shooting skills and desire to hunt differently. You will be the judge as to when the time is right for their first hunt.

jthompso
I took my daughter out twice last year she was six. She loved it and we had a great time together. She want's to go this year and get's a kick out of boning out the deer. (Mom is not real happy about this as it doesn't bode well for future tea parties)
grin.gif

We have never seen deer together but we enjoyed the time together and that's what counts. It's a big thing for a kid to go hunting with dad, even for a short time. Make it enjoyable and they will never forget it.
P.S. I have a friend who started his boy at 4!! He had a nice tree house deer stand. His son could move around and stay warm, they had a ball.

Thanks for the feedback. He wants to go now, so maybe I'll try sitting on the ground a couple of times with him and see how things go.

Thanks again.

Yep,,, that is some great time spent ,, man,,,,,, If you guys have not figured it out yet.. I'll tell ya,,, I am 100% whitetail deer bowhunting fanatic... My boy has the same ambitions. He is only 4 but already has a nicer bow then I had when I was 20!!! he has tagged along on a few hunts this fall already..he enjoyed them too and even fell assleep one time ... But .. the words that stick in my mind is "Dad ,can I go along"???? Man I love to hear that..... Even though some set ups are not going to work with a small child.. I still take him in a tree stand .. He wears a belt and the stand is a 2 man stand with a rail all around.... He loves to be out their and loves to shoot his bow... and I am pretty darn proud to say he is a pretty darn good shot for 4 years old too.....I wish My dad would have taken me hunting when I was young... My dad never hunted at all ... But we did have many great outings on the lakes fishing though.. I will always remember those days,, Dad...

Gritty

Top Bottom