Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracing Genetics

DWilk

I know a lot of you hunt the same farms year in and year out. I love following the genetic lines passed down through the herd. It seems as if there are certain 'types' of bucks out there, across large landscapes as well as in local gene pools. Certain traits resurface regularly, whether we want them to or not!

Here are some bucks we've chased over the years that show strong genetic similarities:

http://trophypursuit.com/derek/2012/08/22/like-father-like-son/

This buck is high on our hitlist this year. His younger look-alike will be there as well if he survives a couple more years! I hope these 2 guys do plenty of breeding!

Goodgiant.jpg

Anyone feel like sharing some unique antler traits they've seen passed down on their properties? It doesn't have to be a 200 incher or a droptined giant, just something that may be unique or recognizable.

What are everyone's thoughts on how genetics can change on a property? It's crazy how some farms just pump out the monsters and other farms produce a steady supply of 150 inch deer. Genetics are a crazy complicated subject, so if anything I just like to look at photos of different bucks :way:

Here's a couple bucks, that I can almost gurantee you have the same genes. The bigger one is from last year and the smaller one from this year. Same farm, 20 ft difference in camera location. They have about the exact same high and tight frame (although one is much bigger/older). There are both main frame 8's, but the older one just has junk everywhere. There are a lot of bucks in this area that have crab claws on the end of their main beams as well, even 2-3 miles down the road other farms. I'll try to find some crab claw pics.

5ffd81ec.jpg

fcee0079.jpg

50bc1b8c.jpg

6d7ea870.jpg

Top Bottom