Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tracking Help

pete

This morning I shot the buck in the below picture.
12long_brow1-med.jpg

It was around 7:15am. He was quartering toward me slightly at about 10 yards. The arrow looked like it passed through both lungs at the time of impact. He kicked both legs up and ran. I waited 30 minutes and crawled out of my stand to retrieve the arrow. The arrow was completely covered in blood and smelled slightly like paunch. Unsure now of where I hit I pulled out and didn't return for 3 hours. I brought 2 veteran bowhunters back with me. We didn't come across blood right away about, 50yards up the trail we first started seeing heavy blood, there was a good trail for about 200yds. and then nothing. We spent the next 6 hours circling the property looking for where he may have bedded or a dead deer with no luck. I'm almost sick right now, I have over 200 trail camera pictures of this deer. I'm heading back out tomorrow to resume the search on my own, any advise would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete

Good luck, hopefully daylight will provide the necessary componant to a successfull recovery.

I would go till I could'nt find another speck of blood then follow all paths of least resistance. Think like a seriously injured deer. He's probably within a few hundred yards of last blood. Good luck and hope it don't rain.

i feel your pain i lost mine that i shot on tuesday evening.... same story good hit had a blood trail then it stopped and we never found him.... hopefully youll have better luck than me......

map, couple buddies, and grid search. should locate if shot placement was good. good luck!

Everything is so thick right now .Double check and triple check every trail you have been on.Is there water nearby? Good luck .

I'd definately check water sources and not give up. Could be that you got one lung and the liver, in which case he is almost surely dead, its just a matter of finding him. I made a low liver hit last year and I know for a fact that buck lived for 5 hours (jumped him later) and travelled about 700 yards in sort of a semi-circle. Again, there was very little blood after the first 100 yards.
Keep looking and stay positive, even if you totally screw up the area searching it is plenty early in the season and shouldnt hurt much.

Good luck and I hope you find him, thats a great buck.

Dang I hate it when this happens. The feeling is terrible. I had a similar situation/shot happen to me a couple years back and wound up waiting 5 hours before looking for him. We had blood at first and then nothing but we did recover him about 150 yards from were I had shot him. He took the path of least resistance and laid up next to a creek.

Thanks for everyones help, I was exausted last night after I posted it sorry I didn't get a chance to answer everyone's pm's. But thanks for the help! I had to work half a day today and now I'm off, Hopefully with good news later in the day.
Thanks again,
Pete

Good luck with find him. He has to be around there somewhere. More than likely you walked right past him the other night.

I hate looking for them at night, I bet the light will help you wrap up the search, best of luck

Kratz

If theres any kind of water on the propety (creek or pond) Seach those real good. I have seen and found many bucks that were wounded laying in water.

I agree with water suggestions.

Its a little late now, but If it were me and I smelled any guts on the arrow coupled with no blood trail for the 1st 30-40 yards, I would have pulled out and came back the next day. I have been in your shoes dozens of times and have learned the hard way on occasion to live by the motto "when in doubt, back out".

Your deer could be a long, long, long ways away if you jumped him that evening on a gut or liver shot. Don't be afraid to walk an extended area after you exhaust you immediate wooded area.

Good luck, hope you find him!

Top Bottom