Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping update

Skully, thanks for the info. Got some Duke dog proofs and snares on order! Still would like to set some foot holds for dogs in the future. Was looking at the Duke line as well. Should I be looking at bigger, like a #3 or the #1 3/4?

I may be way off, but it seems like the better dog trapping will be travel areas along the skunk river near my home - and there is very little in the way of grasses or fencelines to zone in with a snare, unless you're setting on top of the dike. Thought some coil spring traps set with a backing and lure might be the ticket??

Too many loose dogs roaming the bluff, which has great coyote potential, for me to comfortable set snares. So I will be concentrating on the river corridor.

Thanks for the advice!

That's great Dannyboy! I always figure my first coon caught in a new trap will pay for it. The rest are just a bonus! :) You will like the the Duke dog proofs and with the weather we're having the snares will be handy to. I personally think that #3's are overkill for yotes. I have always had great luck with #2's. I use my #3's for beaver & otter drowning sets. #3's cost around $3 more per trap vs the #2's also. When I was young and poor I caught a lot of yotes in 1 1/2's too, just because that's all I had. :) Duke makes a decent trap and they should work fine for you. I learned while river bottom trapping, "I also live on the Skunk River", if you want to cut down on junk non target animals you need to find fence rows and terraces that are in open areas up away from the edges of the river maple bottoms. Dang possums will ruin a good set and keep money out of your pocket if you are too close to their travel routes. The seem to shy away from the open areas where they can be targeted by birds of prey or faster moving predators. Those dikes you mentioned sound like the ticket for some dirt holes! Good luck!

image_zpsb7d589bb.jpg

Caught my first fox this morning on a dirt hole set. I kept missing a coyote on this farm so I tried doubling it up and it paid off. I have had a lot of fun learning this sport, there's a lot more information and strategy to it then someone would think.

Wow Brewcrew, that is a beautiful red! I don't think he was going anywhere! LOL! :D Lots of predators are on the move right now, keep after them!

This thread is awesome! One of my favorites that I have seen in a while for sure. I am going to try doing some trapping over xmas break, I'll see if I have any luck. Thanks Skully for starting this, this is just bad a$$!

It was a sky lined hill facing to the south. We lost a lot of snow here in mills county the last two days. I made the set for a bobcat with a dove on the top branch with some chicken feathers scattered around it and hanging from it. Very surprised to find a fox.

As much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a fox and HATE to see them in a trap... that is a really cool pic. Well done.

Finally ended up catching a bobcat the other day. Caught it with a snare and it weighed 32 pounds. Me and Magnus put the the snares out 2 weeks ago, I was starting to get a little discouraged.Trapping is like hunting. It only takes a minute to change your whole season.Good luck to you guys still staying after it!
IMG_20140117_123556_208_zpsf42e1bdc.jpg

IMG_20140117_124317_101_zps535b5721.jpg

Last edited:
Jclaws - Nice cat!! Congrats!! That looks like a very nice specimen. For one reason or the other, I never made any bobcat sets this year, but I would like to catch one someday.

Helluva cat Joe! Congrats man! Eleven days left of the regular trapping season. You can continue to underwater trap beaver through April 15th but remember you can't kill them with a shotgun or spear! :D

That is very cool I have been trying to get one as well so far unsuccessful on bobcats. One coyote and lots of coons and coyotes .

Don't give up guys! A buddy of mine just called and said he caught his first bobcat this morning! It was in a conibear bucket set he had set for coon. It was a big male and weighed 32 lbs! Season closes on Friday, good luck to those still trapping!

picture.php

Yes he is a tank of a tom! This guy is a devoted trapper and taxidermist and has waited a lot of years to walk up on his first cat. Had this been last year the quotas were full he would have had to turn it over to the DNR but due to the new regs and lifting the quotas he will get to keep it! I will post pics of the finished mount when he gets around to doing it.

Top Bottom