Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Truck plow recommendations?

NWBuck

PMA Member
I'm thinking about buying a blade to mount on my pickup for the purpose of snow removal. The primary use would be for personal residential snow removal, but I would also use it to reach ice fishing areas where the snow is too deep to drive. I have a half ton F150. Anyone have experience with this, or a recommendation? Thanks in advance.

NWBuck

My bro-in-law has a Boss V plow and its pretty nice. He has it mounted on a Chevy 2500 super duty. I have heard from other guys that have blades on 1/2 ton pickups that the truck isn't heavy enough to use a blade and that the truck wears out after a couple of years of using it. I haven't owned one before so I can't say if that is true or not. I would say to put some sand bags in the back and that will help out. Good luck.

I don't think think they will put a v blade on an f150. But there are several you can choose from that will do fine on a 1/2 ton. V blades are just too heavy... We have a boss on our chevy 1500. They are just set up perfectly for a 1/2 ton. The fold down springs are set up to where it folds over if you're pushing something too heavy, which on a half ton could do some damage. I would definately look into Snoways (sp?) also. The blade itself just has a metal frame with a big sheet of plexiglass, not quite as heavy i don't believe. I have a neighbor with a snoway on a jeep wrangler and it's held up really well.

I wouldn't be worried about the appropriate sized blade on an F150 for residential use but you may get more than you want when you mention "snow too deep to drive". A secluded spot must be off the beaten path far enough that it is going to take some real abuse on a truck to plow what is probably an old lane or dirt road.

Be careful buying used from a private party. I worked for a plow dealer and seen alot of people get burned. Not every undercarriage is the same from one model or year to the other. Remember you get what you pay for, and some guys are real hard on there equipment, so do you research before you buy. I had guys come in thinking they got a great deal, but found out wrong when they had to buy a new undercarriage because the one they got would not fit there truck.

I just bought a meyer v plow for my superduty and i love plowing snow now but a vplow is to heavy for a 1/2 ton i would stick with a meyer,western,boss just becuse it might be easyer to get parts if needed.

Top Bottom