Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

turkey hunting

I have chaperone for the senior trip this weekend, so looks like 3rd and 4th season for me! Good luck! The joys of teaching...

Good Luck. Check out the "Turkey Shot Placement" sticky in the Long Beard Forum. I put an arrow in one the other day and thought It was a great shot, to no avail he flew off, couldn't find him, not even a drop of blood. Must of been low. Shot placement is so critical. That's why I think turkey hunting with the bow is the most challenging.

Yeah that is why I am not comfortable hunting them with my bowtech yet, so I will use my shot gun. One shot one kill.

After about 23 hours in the blind in the last three days we didn't have any luck. Which brings me to the question, are the turkey numbers down or are they just confused about this crazy weather?

Wind, rain, colder temps will effect turkeys. More often than not I've found it just delays their normal routines. Wind will force them to move to more of a sheltered area from the wind. Light rain they will be in a short grass/hay field. Heavy rain will put them deep in the timber somewhere they feel safe. Rain & wind effects their hearing just like it does ours. So if they can't hear they will go to were they feel safe. Cold doesn't effect them as much, I've noticed. It just delays them a little bit. Not everyday is going to be 70 and sunny, so a hunter needs to be able to adapt themselves to the weather and to what the birds will do in certain weather. The only way you can do that is be proactive and hunt/scout on inclimate days as well as nice days, to truly learn what certain birds do with certain weather. I hope this helps. Good luck! If you stick with it and be persistant you'll get one.

turkeys numbers are down no doubt. Farms that used to hold 15-20 toms now have less than half that theres still birds to hunt but just not as many

Top Bottom