Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip Plot Too Early???

AP

AP
Last year I planted a food plot of turnips during the mid-late August and got them to grow about 6 inches and no bulbs. This year I decided to try and plant them early to capture some of the spring moisture. I planted this plot the last week of June and was able to catch some small rains just after planting. I talked with a farmer buddy of mine from ND about growing Sugar Beets and he guided me through the process. I figured I would be ok since they plant sugar beets in May and harvest in Oct. I tilled the soil and used about 75 lbs. of N per Acre. I stopped down to look at the plot and I was very surprised. I'm also slightly nervous after reading some posts on turnip plots and the leaves getting too big that the "tastyness" is different than younger smaller plants. I used some liquid food plot enhancement fertilizer last weekend to keep the green energy going through Aug-Sept. This is a test plot for me where I planted four varieties of brassics. Applin Forage Turnip, Burkant Turnip, Kestral Kale, Barnapoli Rape. Ordered all seed from Welter's. This fall plot is about acre and is right next to my 4 acre clover plot.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last year I planted on July 29 and before it got real cold yet, my brassicas were already full grown and starting to rot.. smelled like horrible rotting garbage.. i think you will still have plenty of food and the deer will still eat it but just be prepared for the awful smell..

Looks like a lot of plants! How many pounds of seed did you use? I still have not planted my fall plot. I sprayed it on Monday and will disc/burn it the middle of next week. I am planting turnips, wheat, oats and clover. I might be to late but we have been getting alot of rain lately!

Looks like a lot of plants! How many pounds of seed did you use? I still have not planted my fall plot. I sprayed it on Monday and will disc/burn it the middle of next week. I am planting turnips, wheat, oats and clover. I might be to late but we have been getting alot of rain lately!

3lbs per variety. total of 12 pounds. might have been alittle heavy but the leave size makes them look good and thick.

A lot of what you planted does not have bulbs. Like, guys will mix in dwarf essex rape... Little or no bulb. you want big bulbs with great roots, purple top turnips and forage radishes. I am not sure about some of the other things you planted as I haven't done a few of those. PPT's and Radish are excellent choices if those don't meet your needs. Looks a little thick but they don't look stressed except maybe in 2nd photo but maybe that's sunlight making plants look yellow-er? If you see light colored plants, yellow or the stressed purple-ish/maroon colors, small/stunted - you know there's not enough N, planted too thick, not enough moisture and/or very poor soil. I see some grass in top pic but not too bad, maybe a little clethodim if you wanna get fussy. Looks good!

Top Bottom