Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wasting seed or not?

TallTines

I was going to try a mix of brassicas, turnups, oats, and AWP.

Will the brassicas shade out the oats and awp too much to make it worth mixing it in?

I probably won't get in the ground until mid to late august here. I'm putting it in some CRP fields. Just going to mow it, spray it , disc it and harrow it in starting asap. Doing about 4 acres in this mix if I can get a way with it.

Also have some logging roads that I was thinking of going over with a disc a few times and just broadcasting some clover into it. I figure it's clover and it usually takes over everything when you let it anyways. Just don't know if mid to late august will be too late to get anything starting very good.

It all depends on what your seed mix is. If your putting a full seeding rate of brassica's out there, you will probably have that out compete everything else. But, putting it in at the time you are, it may not make much of a difference at all.

It all depends on what your seed mix is. If your putting a full seeding rate of brassica's out there, you will probably have that out compete everything else. But, putting it in at the time you are, it may not make much of a difference at all.

I agree with Brian...normally the brassicas will form a canopy and out dominate everything else but planted in late August they won't have as much time to grow.

Let us know how it works out :way:

Do you think that it will be too late to get any growth from the turnups and brassicas then?

With good weather they'll look something like this

10-16Brassicas.jpg

Better then nothing but I would plant seperate plots of rye/oats peas that you KNOW will carry the load through the late season..;)

Top Bottom