Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Well....a bit confused.

JUNIOR

Around 2 o'clock today I shot a nice buck at 30 yards, deer was quartering away and the shot was in good placement, if not was slighty low. After about 20 minutes I got out just to see if I had any blood, no blood on impact but did have hair. I followed if for about 30 yards then I found my arrow. About 1 1/2ft of the arrow was covered in brightly colored blood. I looked about 5-6 yards up from the arrow and saw a good blood trail. So I backed out and went back to my stand. 3:15 came and I thought i had been long enough time for the deer, so i followed the blood trail (bright color and had bubbles) for about 150 yards to an Alfalfa field then the blood vanished. So I went in the direction to where I thought he might have gone and in a ditch I found blood again. I followed it for 50 yards, then it vanished. Now I'm about 350+ yards from my stand and about 50 yards from the road. The other side of the road has Switch grass so I'm thinking of the worst. I'm really confused and need some advice and opinions
-Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Back out - come back at first light tomorrow and find your buck just inside the switch grass. Sound like a single lung hit - give home some time to expire.

If I gets on the switchgrass that could be good. Blood should so up well on the tall grass.

Good luck keep us posted.

Last edited:
I agree, but I'm worried he clotted up. That's why I think I lost his trail...

The higher the grass the better. Grass may brush against the blood on his side.
Get a couple buddies and take your time.

We found an 8 that I shot by taking it slow and looking for small specks of blood and we found him.

The higher the grass the better. Grass may brush against the blood on his side.
Get a couple buddies and take your time.

We found an 8 that I shot by taking it slow and looking for small specks of blood and we found him.

Grid search starts tomorrow :) I'm still confused on how he even went 350+ yards!!

I did a one lunger once & he stopped at the hillside & took over an hour before he fell down. It's a fatal shot but sometimes takes a long time for them to expire.

One lung deer can walk aways without stopping too. You should get good blood wiping off when he enters the tall stuff. If you know you got a good shot don't give up. You'll find him.

One lung deer can walk aways without stopping too. You should get good blood wiping off when he enters the tall stuff. If you know you got a good shot don't give up. You'll find him.

Yeah true I'm not sure you have to grid search yet. Go to last blood get a direction into grass you'll probably see more blood.

Well, picked up the blood trail again, he ended up not going across the road, but instead went south east and cut all the way across our property. Now he has went another 300-400 yards and we just lost the blood trail at the edge of a crp field next to a ditch. So I searched the ditch and haven't found a sign of him. He has now ran at least 700-800 yards without a spot of laying down so I think we are done for today. Probably will walk around tomorrow

Last edited:
Going to call it, have searched a lot of ground with no trace of him. Hopefully he shows up on camera or is seen in person!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom