Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What calls to use when

duckaholic

As with any hunting, calling has a lot to do with timing and knowing what calls to use when. I personally see this primarily in waterfowl hunting. I was hoping that some of you veteran turkey callers could explain what calls to throw at a Tom and how you know the time is right. Kee Kee Run, purring....etc.

well.....
thats very situational. if the bird is hot, give him what he wants, call often and loudly, as long as he keeps gobbling his head off keep feeding him!!

If he gobbles only occasionally, id call after his gobble, only occasoinally before. this to keep him interested.

if a hot bird is close but stops gobbling and you cant see him, id assume he is hung up. you can go two ways with this. get real aggressive and call your brains out, or go silent on him. more often than not, ill go silent on him and hope his lusty curiousity gets the better of him, and id say that option is best.

if you are blind calling, id keep it to a few cuts and yelps every 10 minutes or so. also when blind calling and sitting a blind set up, try to sit for at least an hour.....

these things dont always work, but they have worked for me from time to time.

good luck

Since I've taken up bowhunting I've really cut back on my calling. I call very little, especially if I'm in a strut zone or laying in ambush. Maybe it's just me being paranoid but I think birds get call shy a lot quicker these days and I try to do everything I can to sound like a shy hen rather than an impatient hunter.

As far as what type of calling to throw at 'em, it depends entirely on the mood of the gobbler. I've had birds blow up at the stupidest calling sequence and then shut up when I gave 'em my best stuff. I do a lot of cutting and yelping if I cannot see a hot gobbler. Once I lay eyes on him, or I know he's getting close, I start using soft clucks and purrs.

When running and bowing I try not to call too loudly each time I stop. You never know how close and how quickly a bird may respond. Patience and timing is my thing now, it has seemed to work. Good luck!

I like to start out around fly down time with a few very, very light tree yelps. I then wait a few minutes and do a fly down cackle with a wing beating against a tree or my leg. That has been quite the "Deal Sealer" in the past, Gobblers love it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.

The rest of the information that THA4 & Muddy gave you is right on and pretty much the same routine as me. I don't do nearly as much calling as some people that I know, especially the "pros" on TV, I catch myself cringing sometimes listening to them call nonstop /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif.

If I feel confident with a spot or I have seen birds in that general area before I will sit for longer periods of time. I preach patience, patience, patience. It is definitly not the only way but when you have limited ground I believe it is the best option. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

All of the above info is right on.

I just shake my head when I see the "pros" on tv or the latest DVD running, gunning, and cranking on the calls continuously.
The thing to remember is that they hunt in numerous states on some of the most prime grounds and can afford to screw up and go to another wonderful, privately leased farm. They kill birds, but I would rather run the conservative route and not screw up my areas.

Pros gotta crank on the calls while doing the video thing, how else are they going to sell their crap to the masses? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

My favorite technique is to take a nap and call them in with the serenity of my slumber. Waking up to see a gobbler strutting within 50 yards is always an adventure!

I think the biggest thing is understanding the calls as the hen would use them. I mean knowing how the real hens do it is the ace in the hole for me. What everybody has said above is 100%.

I think that the yelp,tree yelp,cluck,putt,purr,cutt and fighting purr are the ones I use the most. Every gobbler responds different. I have never used the kee kee run while hunting but I know alot of guys say it works.

I tend to get pretty aggressive while calling /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I use the Tree Yelp early when birds are on the roost. Let him know where I am at.

Yelp - all the time my main call

Putt - don't use it alot but it has worked for me when a bird alarm putts and I putt back then cluck several times it has calmed him down enough for me to kill him

Purr - when the bird is close and I am trying to say all is good come see big boy!

Cluck - I like to mix in alot after purrs or in a yelp sequence

Cutt - blind calling or hung up birds

Not saying I do it right but that is how I roll it works for me.

Top Bottom