Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What helical jig?

Steve-O

World Member
Looking at buying a bitz and wondering what the difference is between straight and right/left. I know difference is between right/left just want to know degree difference and what you guys think I should buy. I shoot 2" blazers. Thanks
Steve

The left is a clamp that does left helical fletches and the right does right helical fletches. The degree of offset is adjustable on the Bitz. I use mine for 2" Blazers also (with a right helical), and "max out" the offset. Works like a charm.

So you are saying that you use the right helical clamp? I know you can get a 1 degree offset on a straight clamp to the right because that is what my buddy uses.

I'm not sure what you mean by "max out" the offset. When I was setting my bitz up for the first time last night it seemed if I totally maxed out my straight clamp the broadhead end of the fletch wouldn't even be touching the arrow shaft - I'm using 2" blazers, maybe your using a 4" fletch? I'm still new at this fletching thing so any hints or tips are appreciated.

"Max out" probably wasn't a good term to use. What I was trying to refer to were the two adjustment knobs on the jig (labeled 11 and 12 on the instructions). These knobs can be adjusted to ensure that you have even contact of the fletchiing up and down the arrow shaft. Mine are adjusted to the right of center for the arrows I'm using. The amount of offset is determined by the clamp rather than the jig. Sorry for the confusion.

I understand - I know I have a lot to learn but I'm having fun. I'm guessing the arrows I fletched last night have close to a 3 degree offset - tough to tell without any markings on the jig. I did a half dozen start to finish in about an hour - removal of old wraps/veins to the dabs of glue on the front and back of the new veins. I already have two buddies that want me to fletch some arrows for them. I even shot tonight and none of the fletches came off. They may even fly better now than before I had them "professionally" fletched
26404-archer[1].gif

I think you'll find that you can do a better job than most of the pro shops, especially if you take your time. I always feel much more confident shooting arrows that I've fletched becuase I know that they are well-done.

If your shooting blazers I would use straight clamp and just give yourself a 3 to 5 degree offset. Not enough vane there to do a helical fletch. The Bitz is the only way to go.

Top Bottom