Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's the movement like?

sw outdoor nut

I haven't been out in a while and plan to spend the next few days in the timber. I have been driving around at dusk lately and haven't seen that many deer, mostly does/fawns. Has anyone been seeing good morning movement? I am anxiously hoping so. I would like to think they are moving more, earlier in the AM. THanks!

I like to call this time the "calm before the storm". My camera's are telling me that not many mature deer are moving during daylight. Most of my pics are just after dark and just before light in the morning. A week to 10 days from now should be better and then it will be all out from there...

Yup, October lull....calm before storm. Crops coming out, cover is changing. Deer are readjusting themselves to the changing environment. Bucks are still traveling a relatively small core area, keeping tabs on a few different doe groups and their smaller areas.

Can't wait till the mature bucks start running full bore, checking on as many doe groups as they can in a night.....and running late the next morning! :way:

seen a lot of does. some smaller bucks nothing over 8 points. Trail cams are still showing the big boys moving at 2-5 am. like stated earlier...another week or so and it will all change.

sounds like a lot of smaller bucks and does are moving right now, although one of my buddies called around 5PM saying he stuck a Boone-class buck on our farm. He got a pass through with a very bloody arrow but because of not a ton of blood being present where the buck stopped after running away, hes going to pull out and go get the deer in the morning. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow when he's back in Madison.

I hunted Sunday morning and night. Morning was slow but I had to leave at 9. Long story short, had to go back to my spot at about 9:30 and there was a big shooter 10 walking a doe up the fenceline I was set up in... Sunday night I saw 6 bucks, most of which were very active 2 and 3 year olds. A friend on the same farm saw a decent but way old 8 that we've come to know pretty well. Said he pretty much just came out of the timber, made his appearance, and went right back in. They didn't really show until last half-hour. I've been blessed with some good sits already this year.

Hunted all weekend with the muzzleloader. Saw a couple of good bucks Saturday night...but not quite good enough. My partner saw a sure shooter the same night, but out of range. Other than that one night, nothing but does, fawns and basket racks. Have filled a couple of doe tags, but we need a cold snap and some crappy weather :thrwrck:

NWBuck

Went last night to a hot spot I always see lots of deer. Only seen 4 doe about 645 no bucks. Its was very slow. The slowest I have ever seen in that spot. Went home checked out my cameras from that area. Showed some does moving out of there bedding area around 6 but most of em were not moving till after 7. I have a couple of small bucks that were moving at 645. 2 of the nice ones I have been watching all summer are not leaving the bedding area and showing themselfs till after 9! :moon: Now is the time of the year I go out and enjoy nature and a good nap sometimes. Might as well be my October lull 2!:) Yeah its real slow but you never know so all you can do is sit watch and wait. Last year I had a terrible 2 days the 24th and 25th without seeing many deer. I almost didn't go out on the 26th. Glad I did cuz the woods were awake that day. Seen 44 deer total that day. Didn't kill anything but had one of the best days in the stand ever. Just goes to show what a difference a couple of days can be.

Passed up a mid 140's 10 pointer at 7:30 saturday morning and have'nt seen much since. Late Sunday afternoon I saw a cool looking half rack, he had a 8 or 9 inch flyer off his remaining side. He should be a nice buck next year. The deer I have seen have all been in the woods on acorns. Very slow movement.

They must have been moving this morning. Two buddy's shot deer this morning. A huge 8 with the muzzy and the other a 160 class 10 with the bow. One was working a scrape line and the other was following a doe into a bedding area.

It must be slow,,because I checked latest installment of Mid-West Whitetail, Put out Yesterday. No shooting footage to speak of, and if that guys farm is not putting out the bucks,,it must be slow. I have just 40 acres, with 4 stands on it. I always want to start putting my time and scent into the area when odds are the best of catching a mature deer cruising thru. Closer to Nov seems to be the best. Actually first two wks of Nov. Supposed to get kinda rainy this wk end and next week but still no cold air in sight. Although Minn, weather service says temps in Canada are supposed to drop next week. That cold has to come down some day?

It's been bad for me too, i had a couple good hunts opening week but ever since it has just died out. Deer move after dark based on what I've been seeing on camera. Last night was the first night I seen good movement however. Buddy and I spotlighted some cornfields that had just gotten picked and there were deer all over. I've been after 4 deer specifically on this one farm and I haven't seen them all fall. Had tons of pictures of them on my bait all summer and once season rolled around they disappeared. Last night we hit the field that's just south of my stands probably 400 yards and wouldn't you know there were 2 of the big boys I have been after. Makes sense why I haven't seen them, they have probably just been living in the middle of that standing corn. The next couple days I'm putting my time in hunting over that fresh picked corn. That seemed to be the popular field for last night, we drove around and seen a lot of big boys out and about and they were all in fresh picked corn fields or alfalfa fields. things should start to turn for the better, these days in the 60's and lows in the 40's have seem to have these deer up a tad big earlier so hopefully in the next couple days we'll start to see some more BBD.

I've not spent one second in a stand since youth season. I am tying up loose ends around the farm and staying caught up at work so as soon as prime time hits I am ready to go. This morning was the coolest morning of the season so far and I watched two bucks check scrapes and bristle up to each other but no sparring. The largest was a 120ish 8 point. Trail cams are still showing mature buck movement around 10 pm on scrapes in my neck of the woods. Some rain and cool weather in the next couple weeks will make the lid pop off and things will get going good!:way:

Just read some snow possible in the air around the twin cities end of next week, so the cold may be on it's way.

I passed on a 140' ish 10 pointer this morning. He worked the scrape about 25 yds from my stand at about 7:25. He was within shooting range for almost 3 minutes. Just not enough mass, and short on tine length. The does came to the beds about 8:30. Everything went quiet after that but squirrels and turkey.

I sat from 6 am until 1 pm today. Had a total of 3 does in all that time. One of those is dead now. Thought for sure with the 27 degree temp this am the big boys would be on the move, guess I was wrong. My buddy did whack himself a real nice 163 inch 13 pt the other day though.

Was out with my son and saw little movement. But did have one buck working a scrape about 60 yds. Grunted at him but he wasn't too interested. Snort/wheezed him right in but wasn't able to get a real good look at his rack. He started another scrape right in front of us at last light and hung around until about 20 min. after legal shooting time. My son was pumped.

Top Bottom