Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your take on trophy hunting

boacephus

My wife took hunters safety course this spring and the booklet had a "type" of hunter classifications. I suppose I am just about out of the limiting out stage. The booklet suggested about 10 yrs experience under your belt prior to passing up almost any buck. I'm close I believe it was somewhere on this site, someone suggested "if you question rather or not it is a shooter, then it isn't". I hunt for the release and good eats, but I do live for the day to be able to admire one on the wall. I normally don't even have that many opportunities to pass up bucks, lol. I have shot 5 bow bucks to date, some I would let walk now, but I know they probably would have been had during shotgun season. I'm am stoked about a 130ish 11pt I missed about 2 weeks ago. I was ground hunting and miss judged the distance on him. Didn't spook him to bad though, he just trotted off into the field about 60yds away and pranced around. I'm sure he was only about 3 1/2yr old but there was no doubt that I would put my tag on him. Not many others that hunt that area that would pass him up either. Anywho just thought I would get opinions on trophy hunting. I've been trying to work on my doe tags for EM but past three evening outI haven't seen a thing. These are spots that I consistently see deer at too. Must be the weather. Sorry for the long post just not quite ready for bed but I know morning is going to come early, lol.

I think we each have our own definition of what a trophy is. Personally, I don't shoot a buck any longer unless it is destined for the wall (can get plenty of tags for meat animals). One of my favorite 'trophies' wasn't even mine - it was a small 6 point my son shot with his bow when he was 14. I was in a climbing stand about 40 yards from him and got to witness the whole thing - great memory = great trophy.

The definition of trophy I ask friends to adhere to when they hunt my land is that if it is a buck you want to spend the $400 to hang on your wall - shoot it, otherwise please take a doe. That seems to work pretty well and everyone has their own definition but at least they understand my expectations as the landowner
smile.gif
An exception to this rule is during the youth season where kids can shoot the first deer that comes along whether it is a small buck or not. A side benefit of shooting fewer bucks the past 8 years has been the number of 3.5+ year old bucks we see.

I would'nt recommmend it to anyone. It's worse than meth. A terrible cross to bare once afflicted. And it only takes one puff!
blink.gif

I would consider myself a trophy hunter with bad luck. Here we get an any deer tag and I usually try and get a good buck. The last few years however I have shot 2 does (both with broken legs) and 1 small buck. He had bad genes. I get just as much enjoyment, if not more, seeing the rest of my family/friends get good bucks out of my stands.

I'm definately in the trophy hunting stage. If it isn't good enough to go on my wall I'm not going to shoot it, I don't need the meat and I'll take a doe if I have to. We only get one buck a yr and I'm not going to shoot a "nice" buck b/c next year it may be agreat buck. Granted, not every nice buck I pass lives to see another winter but alot do. I'm sure one day I really won't even care if I see a dandy, I'll be more consumed with trying to get my sons a nice buck and regardless of size I'm sure they'll be a trophy to me.

It's funny how guys get, yesterday I put my brother on a nice mid 150 class buck and I tried to get him to shoot it but he passed. He's only shot one that size but like me he doesn't need the meat and it wouldn't have made it onto the wall but deep down I wanted him to shoot it b/c I'd have helped put him on it.
confused.gif

With that said, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder and just b/c I won't shoot one that isn't big enough for the wall I don't begrudge anyone who does. Hunting is hunting and well all know that it is pretty darn exciting getting a deer.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
a trophy is in the eye of the beholder and just b/c I won't shoot one that isn't big enough for the wall I don't begrudge anyone who does.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said. i'll go along with that

[ QUOTE ]
I would consider myself a trophy hunter with bad luck

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah speaking of bad luck. Today didnt go well at all. But i would consider a Trophy buck to be bigger or a 8 point. I havent seen very many big deer were i hunt but i guess im at the wrong place at the wrong time.
smirk.gif
I love hunting. today when i got in the stand since last year i knew i didnt want to give it up. And i want a buck i can remember. Not a small 8 but a BIG 8.

Ive been huntin for three years , two with bow , my brotherinlaw (fall guy ) told me if it isnt bigger then this guy dont shoot it, as he pointed to his smallest buck mount a 120+ b&c so ive passed on quite afew small bucks .he told me you want to be proud of what you hang on your wall, not to mention the 400+ bucks for a mount . all in all some good advice because i know i would have took one that i wouldnt have been happy with, but the does are really good eatin.still lookin for that big buck , the more time in the woods the greater the odds.
smile.gif

Top Bottom