Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Why do you hunt?

There are a lot of good things that can be taken from this thread and I think one of the most important is to not feel bad for "killing" an animal. It is not merely about the act of "killing" that is the main thing but it is the act of becoming a part of the food chain. Taking an animal's life for subsistence.

Every time any one of us steps into the woods we become part of the natural cycle of life. Without hunters there would be awful things that would become of the resident deer population including disease and malnourishment. I agree with Iowa1 in the aspect that, no, you should not feel "remorse" or "sorry" for taking the animal.

I guess the two words that come to mind every time when I harvest an animal is, "thankful" and "respectful." I am thankful that I am able to participate in the natural cycle of life in the most helpful way I can. Everyone participates in the cycle of life to an extent in the fact that most people eat meat which creates demand for meat which in turn kills cows, hogs, etc... I think you get the picture. However, taking part in the natural cycle in the way we are able to as hunters is the most wholesome and fulfilling way there is. No person should ever feel sorry for this because this cycle is the way that it was intended to be.

I know for a fact that the number of anti-hunters that know the things we know or have the respect for the animals we chase is no where near what we as hunters have. Anti-hunters aren't doing the deer any favors as I am sure that every one on this website knows. That is why there is no reason we should give them the idea that what we are doing seems questionable to us as to why we do it. I will never feel sorry for killing an animal.

There are many emotions that come when you have taken an animal. For me, it is not an emotion of sadness, but a feeling of fulfillment. I look back on all of the work I have put into becoming a hunter and the only sadness I have is the fact that "the hunt" is over for this year.

I hunt because I need to. I need to hunt to feel alive. I need to take part in the world that is around me in ways more than I can than with just people. I think that there are some serious issues that come from the many people that are isolated from the natural world. These people you know as anti's or simply people who raise their brow at the realization that you are a hunter are the people that are isolated and will most likely never feel like we can as hunters to take on a role in the constant struggle of life and death that goes on every day in nature. Which is why we, as hunters, need to make sure that we are displaying a good image to the rest of society as "they" are the ones who will in the end determine our hunting future because as time has passed, we have become a minority.

I don't think there is anything more I can say in the aspect of respect for the animal that hasn't been stated above. I only hope that respect for the animals we hunt does not fall to the wayside in the chase for trophy animals and competition among our fellow hunters because this, will surely be the downfall of hunting as we know it.

What a great thread and what wonderful replies!
I am honored to be a part of this group of such amazing people.

Shadowpeople, that was beautiful.
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif

My thoughts:

Animals are a gift to us from God.
As with all gifts, we should show appreciation and respect
And give thanks to the giver.

Prey animals know it is their destiny to be hunted.
I believe that on a deeper level, they are honored to serve God, man and nature in this role.
Say a prayer of thanks over your deer. Let your heart be filled with love and gratitude.
You and the deer have both played your parts well.

This is a very good post everyone.I think somtimes everyone needs to look deep inside them selves and ask that very question.Some people dont know why.I know why i hunt because I am a predator.I know i am a part of the circle of life.And in that circle also comes death.It is a part of life.I have a deep respect for the whitetails that i hunt.I think its a privilage to hunt.I love all that comes with the resposibiltiy of hunting.I never have felt more alive than when i am in the woods, hunting or otherwise.I know I feel alot closer to God.Hunting is in my blood ,its who I am.I love my family My country and my place in the circle of life.

Why do I hunt, well I practice all year with my bow shooting reality screens and stump shooting. Everytime I shoot I imagine the real thing, well when the moment of truth appears at your door step. Thats why I hunt.

Oh I like to keep the taxidermist busy also.

Wow...what a great post we have going with some mind wrenching replies.

I wrote this on October 27th 1986 as a paper for an environmental relationship class in college. That was 20 years ago. Makes me feel really old. I dug this out of an old folder when this post showed up today. It has my student number typed at the top as if that was part of the requirement for the assignment to be turned in.

Why I Hunt

This comes from a deep seated interest in hunting, wildlife conservation, and my love for the oudoors. So as you read I would like to ask for understanding from those who see hunting as inhumane or cruel or who see all hunters obsessed with the desire to kill.

By the way I was brought up and learned hunting the taking of game was significant, but only a small part of the total experience. The wind, the colors, the smells, the whole range of preparation and activity, all blended to make "the hunt."

If the motivation to hunt was the joy of killing, then the most coveted job on an Iowa farm would be at the chopping block. It is not! The farmer does not raise animals to enjoy a slaughter. Nor does the hunter set out in this spirit.

To think that wildlife would be free of pain and suffering by banning hunting would be unrealistic. The question is not will animals die, but how. Nature harvests her flocks and herds through predators, disease, parasites, starvation, or age. Nature is not painless.

Is it possible to have reverence for life an still hunt?

I certainly think so because of personal experience and from observing those with whom I have hunted.

The privilege of grilled venison loin chops is a very close experience with nature, to be recieved with gratitude.

Reverence for life, at its best, is an attitude of appreciation, wonder, and awe for all of nature.

Often those closest to the wild world marvel most at its majesty!

[ QUOTE ]
Wow...what a great post we have going with some mind wrenching replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

How true! Great post also Ghost
waytogo.gif

Outside of being with my family, I live to be in the outdoors. Harvesting an animal is sometimes the culmination of my time in the woods. It isn't something I take lightly and it influences how I hunt and how I teach my son to hunt.

It's why I personally will have no part of "driving" deer when panic stricken, running fleeing animals are often left to die a miserable death after being shot at by those with no ethics.

For me it's a very personal predator/prey relationship in which it is very important to me, to take a life as humanely as possible.

When "silent death" leaves my bow and finds it's mark, the end takes only seconds. While I feel satisfaction in making a good shot and a clean kill, I always feel a twinge of remorse for a life taken.

There can be no other way...as a cougar takes down his prey, so do I...only with great feeling and reverance for all that God has created and blessed me to be a part of... life...and death....

This thread is destined to be a classic. I am glad that dblrack posted it even though he says he was hesitant at first. I was once asked by a prominent outdoor photographer, after a long conversation about how we both enjoy seeing nature first hand, why I killed the animals instead of just shooting photos. I had to really think long and hard about it but here is what I told him.

I think there are a lot of people who really appreciate the beauty of nature and wildlife, that are fine if they never actually become a part of it. You see, birdwatchers, nature photographers, wildlife lovers, and all those people who appreciate wildlife are merely SPECTATORS. Hunters are INVOLVED in the process of natural things. It was never enough for me to merely watch wildlife, even as a kid. I wanted to get closer, to touch, to sense, to be a part of their lives. To be a PART of the natural cycle of life and death, not just to be an outsider looking in, but to take my place as a predator and fulfill my role in natural things. I believe that is what led me to trapping, hunting and fishing.

Like I said earlier sometimes it is not pretty. I remember when my daughter at 13 years old spine-shot her first whitetail, and she had to walk up to it and administer another slug to finish it off as it lay struggling. I was pretty concerned about how she would handle this.

"You okay?" I asked as we quietly stood over the lifeless deer. She said she was fine and she wouldn't let that unpleasantry ruin such a great overall experience.

I think that is a perspective we can all learn from.

I didn't just make this post to share my dilemma. I also posted it to give everyone an opportunity to share "why they hunt."
I think sometimes, some of us get too caught up in the "hunt" that they forget why we are doing it in the first place.
That is one of the reasons I enjoy this site so much. Reading everyone's posts and throwing a few out there myself gives
me a chance to reflect on my experiences. In essence, that is what I was trying to do with the post.
I know why I hunt and you know why you hunt. The only person you really need to reconcile that reason with is yourself.
For me, like I said in the post, I have my own reasons. I would never say my reason is any more just than anyone else's.
Finally, I would never limit myself by saying my reasons will never change. I consider hunting a major part of my life and at the same time I consider my life a journey.... and after all, what is a journey without a change?

Awesome post.. I totally agree with all of this.. I feel no remorse only respect and thankfulness.. in fact, I get asked a lot by family and friends why my wife allows me to spend as much time away hunting as I do.. The response is that she, while being a non-hunter, understands the spiritual connection of ivolving your self in something that God has created for us. We can build big churches and fancy cathederals but none will rival that which was created by him. To me, there is no other way to feel more alive and fulfilled than spending a day in "Gods Country" and harvesting a magnificent animal only further involves me in the appreciation of that circle of life. Don't get me wrong I like to shoot big bucks too but, that is not the whole reason for why I hunt..

This subject came up a while back and I posted a link to this article that was on the Kifaru website. The link is now dead, but someone graciously copied it on to their forum for me. This is a copyrighted article by Phillip Watts. This is how it appeared on the Kifaru forum. I think it about sums it up:

Hunting, Mental Health, and Understanding the Natural World

What is it about hunting that so deeply offends some people?

I recently read a fascinating essay by Mitch Kendall titled “Hunting and Mental Health.” It was written in response to a statement by Earle D. Hightower, chairman of the Institute for Public Safety, a Rockville, Maryland-based group. Mr. Hightower was quoted in the Washington Times as saying “my personal opinion is that anybody who goes out and shoots helpless animals has a psychiatric problem.” Mr. Hightower’s organization also reportedly sent 600 cards to Maryland property owners stating that 40% of hunters are drug addicts, drunks, or mentally unstable.

Mr. Kendall is a psychologist, and researched the behavioral science literature to see if there was evidence of a tendency toward mental instability among hunters. He found to the contrary that “many of the best-respected behavioral scientists of our times, including Sigmund Freud, William James, Carl Jung, Erich Fromm, Marie-Louise von Franz, and Karl Menninger have written that hunting is a natural, healthy part of human nature.” He quotes Erich Fromm as follows:

“In the act of hunting, a man becomes, however briefly, part of nature again. He returns to the natural state, becomes one with the animal…to be part of nature and to transcend it by virtue of his consciousness.”

I’d like to thank Dr. Fromm for so beautifully describing why most of us hunt, and Mr. Kendall for illuminating these words. But again the question, what is it about hunting that offends some people to the point that they question the mental health of hunters?

I believe the quote from Dr. Fromm contains the answer: “...a man becomes, however briefly, part of nature again. He returns to the natural state…” Dr. Fromm is telling us that man has in effect left the natural state. This is why hunting is so repugnant to some--because as a society, many of us no longer understand the natural world, how it works, and our role in it. We don’t understand where our food comes from or the connection between meat on our dinner plates and killing animals. We abhor killing and believe that anyone who kills by choice must be if not mentally unstable, at least subject to ridicule.

I’m not only talking about the hard-core anti-hunting groups here. Although I completely disagree with them, I grudgingly respect them because they practice what they preach—they don’t eat meat or use animal-based products like leather shoes. They are at least true to their convictions.

Their logic is flawed, of course. Anti-hunting groups like to quote statistics showing that the majority of Americans are against hunting, but I’m not buying it. Both major candidates in the recent presidential election staged photo ops in the field, with guns in their hands, and I believe this is a much more accurate indication of how most Americans feel about hunting. Pollsters don’t get these things wrong very often. And cultures all over the world not only consume meat but make it the center of tradition and ritual. We have our Thanksgiving turkey, Greeks have their whole lamb roasted on a spit, and Inuit have their whale blubber. I can’t believe that people worldwide have this all wrong.

And why single out hunters for ridicule? Why not focus on beef packing plants or poultry plants where far greater numbers of animals are killed every year than in our fields and forests? And if killing animals to clothe ourselves is wrong, why protest outside furriers and not shoe stores? Don’t many more people wear leather shoes than furs?

The answer is, most of us eat beef or poultry and wear leather shoes. These are accepted without so much as a second thought, and to question something so deeply ingrained in our culture would seem radical, outside the mainstream--even crazy. Or to be more cynical, if the same anti-hunting groups that question the mental health of hunters were to question the mental health of people who eat meat or wear leather shoes (in other words, the general public) their message would fall on deaf ears and their fundraising would evaporate.

So why pick on hunters? Because most people don’t hunt. Hunters as a group are an easy target, and the message that killing animals is wrong finds a somewhat sympathetic ear with the general public.

In the natural world there are predators and prey. Humans are the most highly developed predators, so we’re at the top of the food chain. I’m not ashamed of this, but apparently many of us are. We eat meat, wear leather shoes and use animal products but refuse to acknowledge that we are responsible for killing animals to sustain ourselves. Not only that, but we disparage those who do their own killing.

I recall a business dinner in Louisiana some years ago. A colleague noticed turtle soup on the menu and asked if I’d ever had it. I told him that I’d made turtle soup several times with snapping turtles I’d caught myself. Another colleague was aghast---“how could you do that, kill those poor turtles?” she asked in dismay. Moments earlier she had ordered a whole lobster, boiled. I politely explained to her that my killing turtles was no different than her ordering a lobster for dinner, and pointed out that I had at least killed the turtles before cooking them (lobsters are boiled alive). But she failed to make the connection.

Another time at home in Virginia, I was in my garage skinning a deer I’d killed. One of my sons, age 4, wandered out to watch. He loved eating venison and was happy that I’d killed the deer. But then one of my neighbor’s children came into the garage, saw the deer, and said in a scolding tone “my mother says killing animals is wrong.” My son was crestfallen—maybe his dad was wrong for killing this deer. Normally I would’ve let the other child’s remark pass without comment, but seeing the look on my son’s face I couldn’t. As gently as I could I asked the child if his family was vegetarian, and of course they weren’t. I explained to him that his mother was mistaken, and that in order for anyone to eat meat animals had to be killed.

I could forgive the child for not making the connection, but his mother should have known better. As one who has hunted most of my life I will never be able to understand how so many of us can at once abhor the killing of animals, yet be perfectly happy to eat meat, fish, or poultry for dinner. But I believe that these folks are sincere. They’ve just lost their understanding of the natural world and our role in it, and seldom think about where our food comes from.

Anti-hunting sentiment is for the most part an urban and suburban phenomenon. Most people in this country grow up in urban or suburban areas and are never exposed to farms, so they have little understanding of where our food comes from. Most never witness a chicken, hog, or steer being killed for food, and grow up with an aversion to killing of any kind. The only killing they’re exposed to is on the evening news, and it’s not a good thing.

Killing an animal for food is traumatic for people not accustomed to it. Killing in and of itself is bloody, gory, and upsetting to them. They equate hunting with killing so they have difficulty understanding why anyone would want to hunt. They don’t understand, as Erich Fromm did, that hunting is much more than just the act of killing. It’s being part of nature, or “returning to the natural state” as he put it.

By contrast, in rural areas most people either grow up on farms or know someone who owns a farm. Rural people understand that we raise animals and kill them to feed ourselves. The children in 4-H competition are under no illusions as to the fate of their prize-winning steers, hogs, and lambs. To farmers, raising and killing animals to feed our population is as natural as harvesting tomatoes or green beans from their gardens, or hunting deer on the back forty.

My father was raised on a farm. As a child, every Sunday we made the trip to my grandparent’s house for dinner with the extended family. My grandparents were far from wealthy but the spread they put out every Sunday was fantastic. There would be ham from the smokehouse and two or three other kinds of meat, along with too many different vegetables to count, homemade puddings, pies, and pickles. All of this was grown on the farm and cooked on a wood-burning stove. I recall seeing my grandmother nonchalantly grab a chicken, and in one smooth motion stretch its neck over the chopping block and chop its head off with a hatchet. Was this the act of a mentally unstable or sadistic woman? No, it was a chore that had to be done if we were to have fried chicken that evening, simple as that. My grandmother was one of the kindest, gentlest people you could ever meet. In fact, she wouldn’t allow dove hunting on her place because she believed doves mated for life. And if anyone were to suggest to me that she was mentally unstable or sadistic for killing chickens, well, I’d suggest to them…that it’s a free country and they’re entitled to their opinion. Of course I would.

So, if killing animals to feed and clothe ourselves is an accepted part of our culture, why do so many meat-eating, leather shoe-wearing citizens continue to see hunters as blood-thirsty rednecks?

Because most people don’t want to admit that they are responsible for killing animals to sustain themselves. They don’t see the connection between the cellophane-wrapped steaks they buy at the grocery store and the animal that was killed and butchered to provide those steaks—out of sight, out of mind. They can eat their steaks with a clear conscience because they didn’t personally kill the animal--they’re not killers.

I believe that when a meat-eating person says “how could you kill that poor animal” what they really mean to say (if they stopped to think about it) is “I could never kill that animal.” Which is fine by me--I understand that many people don’t like the idea of killing and would rather not participate in it. But I do have a problem when these same people imply that I (or hunters in general) am somehow morally inferior, mentally unstable, or sadistic for killing an animal. They’re not being honest with themselves, because they won’t admit that in order to eat meat, an animal has to die and someone has to kill it.

They may rationalize themselves blameless because they don’t bloody their own hands, but they’re not. They’re every bit as responsible for killing the animals they eat as I am for killing the animals I hunt. And furthermore, I would argue that it is only the hunter (or the farmer)—who gets his own two hands bloody in order to have his meat—that understands and appreciates what is involved with taking an animal’s life to sustain his own. The hunter owns up to his meat-eating in a very basic way and doesn’t shrink from the task of killing because it’s distasteful.

Let me illustrate using two examples. The first is the average person who eats meat but doesn’t hunt. He walks into a grocery store, browses the meat aisle, and picks out a few steaks. He has no idea where the meat came from, the age of the animal, its condition, or how it was killed—it’s not important. He doesn’t know who killed the animal or who butchered it and wrapped it up so neatly with the little absorbent pad underneath to keep blood from dripping on his car seat on the way home. It matters little to him because the steaks cost a fraction of what he earns in an hour. If he burns them on the grill, it’s no big deal, he’ll just toss them in the garbage and go buy some more.

For the second example, I’ll use myself. I hunt elk in the mountains of Colorado, generally in roadless areas because I like the solitude of the backcountry. In the seasons that I am fortunate enough to kill an elk my hunt follows a familiar pattern, and goes something like this: each day, I awaken well before dawn and coax my stiff muscles back to life. I eat a quick breakfast, pack a lunch, and spend the day looking for elk, sunup to sundown. I walk a few miles over mountainous terrain, through thick timber and grassy meadows. I slip through the shadows as quietly as possible, always conscious of the wind that can carry my scent to the elk and send them running off where I can’t follow. Most days I’ll see some elk but I won’t be able to get close enough for a shot, which for me is within the 100-yard range of my muzzleloading rifle. I’ll also see other animals going about their routines—maybe a black bear foraging or some coyotes hunting. Like me, they will spend much more time walking, looking, listening—hunting—than killing prey.
Then one day, everything will come together. The wind will be just right and I’ll slowly work my way within range of the elk. I’ll struggle to calm myself, and take the shot. I’ll watch the downed elk with a tinge of sadness as its life drains away. I will understand completely what it means to take an animal’s life to sustain my own.

Then comes the hard part. I’ll be alone on a mountainside, three or four miles from the road, with a dead elk weighing several hundred pounds. My equipment will consist of a knife, a folding saw, some rope, a backpack, and my own two legs. By the time I’m done, I will have spent a day or two tending to the elk. I’ll have gotten my arms bloody up to the elbows removing the entrails. I’ll have skinned the elk until my hands ached from the effort, taken a break, and then skinned some more. I’ll have sweated under heavy loads of meat hauled out on my back, and when I’m done I’ll feel a real sense of accomplishment. I’ll provide my family with a freezer full of high-quality meat, better than anything I could buy in a store. We’ll savor every bite and I’ll make damned sure I don’t burn any on the grill.

And later on, when a meat-eating acquaintance makes a disparaging remark about hunting, I’ll fight the urge to just shake my head and walk away. I’ll ask him (as politely as possible) why he thinks it’s OK to pay someone else to kill and butcher animals for him to eat, but it’s not OK to do it himself. I’ll watch him struggle for an answer and not find one. And the sad part is, I will probably fail to change his mind about hunting. A lifetime growing up with Bambi is hard to overcome.

Copyright by Phillip Watts, January 2005, Englewood, Colorado

I think I may have read that article before somewhere....none the less a great article that many things can be taken from.

Top Bottom