Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you ever?

I've said it before. What happened to this site. I sure don't remember all this bickering going on ten years ago. It makes it hard to post a simple question on here anymore.

Back to the original post. I myself would not do it but if I still shotgun hunted I would be in my stand because you never know what might run through with all the deer drives going on.

Dbl - I too have frequented this site for around 10 years now and although I do not wish to add any fuel to the feuding fire...I will disagree with you on this point. Not frequently, but from time to time there have been flare ups between various posters. I don't see it as any worse today than at any time in the past.

In this case, a moderator intervened and cooled the situation. The hot headed posters usually move on in my opinion. If you have a question, post away and ignore the hot heads. This is still a great site IMO, especially compared to other outdoor themed sites where the battles rage all the time, not occasionally.

booner

lets call this a truce obviously you have a different view of this then I do. you are looking at this from a native looking for a place to hunt. I am a Iowan(transplanted) that did not grow up hunting by this method. Tradition I understand, so for all shotgunners that hunt this way legally,,,more power to you. I won't do it but if you do it legally you HAVE EVERY RIGHT.

I really only ask for the respect that any land owner should be afforded. I would hope you understand that. Hunters, of all types, should be respectful of others method of hunting, of that we should agree. I hope you have a good and safe season.

Where is T250 when we need him. I'm sure he could shed some light on this.

OP, no, I would not set up in the ditch. Joining someone else's hunting party without them knowing it is a recipe for getting shot at (unintentionally). On public ground it might be legal, but I just don't think it would be very smart to set up on somebody else's deer drive. They just don't know where you are.

lets call this a truce obviously you have a different view of this then I do. you are looking at this from a native looking for a place to hunt. I am a Iowan(transplanted) that did not grow up hunting by this method. Tradition I understand, so for all shotgunners that hunt this way legally,,,more power to you. I won't do it but if you do it legally you HAVE EVERY RIGHT.

I really only ask for the respect that any land owner should be afforded. I would hope you understand that. Hunters, of all types, should be respectful of others method of hunting, of that we should agree. I hope you have a good and safe season.

This is yet again were you are wrong my friend and yet again you continue to degrade myself as well as others of the younger generation as incompetent and unethical hunters. If you still continue to believe anyone with a good head on their shoulder would agree with the actions dirt bag, trespassing poachers take part in, your sadly mistaken!!!! However one thing is for certain, and that is the older you get the harder it is for a person to change. The "good ol boy" mentality is what separates guys like you from guys like me. I for one, don't tolerate those people and you my friend came off as that guy!!! I'll be the bigger man here and say I said some inappropriate things, I took some low blows and I'll apologize for that . You may be a great guy, you served our country and your a fellow deer hunter. Let's leave it at that, agree to disagree on many things. But one that's for sure is, the actions that some may take part in on Saturday are actions that neither you or I can change. We can only hope that the guys like you and I that do abide by the laws, keep abiding by the laws. The dead beat, white trash rednecks will get whats coming to them. The black eye for the hunting world as a whole doesn't come from the guys who do it right and I'd like to think both you and I are on the right side of the line. :way:

Back to the topic....

No way I would come close to setting up in a ditch alongside a drive. Too big a risk of getting a kiss from a stray slug.

BTW, I personally think that drives should be illegal on public land. Do what you want on private, but I was seriously in fear for my life a few years ago while hunting public land in Polk county. Two trucks discharged about seven guys. They SAW me about 1/2 mile away (I heard them talking in loud voices) but started pushing and shooting at anything that moved. I basically hid behind a metal shed used to regulate stream flows.

That same group had some guys who were supposed to be blockers and they just drove right across a farmer's field so they could get into place quicker (but too late). It was warm that day and they were making deep ruts in the field. That farmer drove up about 10 minutes later, yelling at them to get the F*&% out of his land!

Don't trespass!

My $0.02

I know I am going to take alot of crap for this, but I'll say it. This pushing deer crap is just so much b>>>Shi>. I know it is a Iowa thing. But, god almighty, this practice just breeds trespassing and lawlessness. Not to mention how dangerous this is. I own a farm in Warren county and can attest 1st hand how screwed up this practice is. These groups really don't care whose property they are on and where they shoot. The common theme is, ( My dad hunted here 30 years ago and by god i will too.) I admit I am not a born and raised Iowan. But for God's sake guys. I have 2 slug holes in my morton building. I have had slugs fired over my head while setting a stand. My wife will not come outside during the shotgun season, the first year here someone put a slug into our morton building 30 ft from where she was feeding the dogs. It really is a practice that's time has come to end. I have a farm in Wayne county that I treat as a managed farm. The locals think it is their own ground and I must actually be there tho keep pushers from hunting it. I have lived in many places
and can say that Iowan's are absolutely terrible about hunting places that do not belong to them. Not really sure what to do about this, I manage my farms and really put alot of money and time into trying to make my places real whitetail showcases only to have a group of guys just show up and trespass wherever they think they can get away with it. I have spent thousands of hours and millions of dollars.

I slug and bow hunt and I can tell you the only reason there are more stories about slug hunters trespassing is there simply that many more of them. I have a couple guys bow hunting my neighbors ground that can't seem to stay out of mine. Followed a guys tracks from his stand well into mine. Snow on the ground and no blood trail. Basically ended up at another stand. Appears buddies doing a little drive. Its all frustrating.

First off, is this Iowasportsman, or iowawhitetail? Let's stay on track and not get bent out of shape. To both parties...

As for the OP:

Would I shoot him from the ditch? No.

If I had permission on said property near the drive, you bet I'd be posted up in case of that situation!:way: utilizing other hunters as they move deer... its part of the game. Every year I'll sit guys on fencelines where deer run while neighbors push deer. Keeping in mind the safety factor, its usually several hundred yards away from the drive, but very effective way to put odds in a guys favor. And 100% legal. Im sure there aren't many that can claim they shot a deer (at some point in their career) that wasn't a product of another groups drive in some fashion.

Sitting right next to the drive?... nah, I'll pass.. unless I know its a safe spot to sit

Great post. I'll be standing approx 100 yards from my neighbors ground (in mine) Saturday morning.

Shooting from a ditch is wrong. Legal or not the landowner pays taxes to the center of the road. IMHO any hunting or trapping in ditches should come after getting permission.

To the OP. Jumping out of your vehicle and posting up on a high spot to be an uninvited observer in the line of a shotgun drive, is quite possibly one of the most dangerous things I have ever heard of. Not only would packing a gun and shooting at deer in that situation be poor sportsmanship, it would be dangerous and dumb. Stay in your car and stay away from groups that have no idea you are hanging around. I cant imagine...

Top Bottom