Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yellowbanks 8

NothingBig

For the last 2 years I have been hunting some private land just on the NE corner of Yellowbanks park. Seen some does, but never had any bucks of any size come thru, just some buttons and small ones.

Wednesday the 17th I was sitting at work in DSM at 2:30, talking to someone about hunting that afternoon. He said, you need to get out there, it is 2:30 already.

I was in tree by shortly after 3. Have never had good luck in the afternoons there, all deer sightings have been in morning hunts, but felt I would give it another try. Rattled horns a bit, and the wind even calmed down while I was rattling, so the sound really travelled.

About 20 minutes later, here he comes from the north. Down thru a gulley and around the back of my stand, came out on the left side 15 yards. I hit a bit high, but from that sharp of an angle, the placement was OK from that standpoint. I hit behind his right shoulder just as he was stepping forward. The problem was it hit a bit too far forward. Focused way too much on that front shoulder. So it went in and planted in the left shoulder, but got one lung on the way thru. 8 inches of arrow broke off and stayed in. I was home and back in the woods with Daniel by 4:30 for some tracking. I knew he had went SE, and we followed the trail into some stick grass. Was good blood until he hit the grass. Decided to back out as it was dark, and I did not want to push him any.

Thursday morning (after a restless night sleep), I went back out myself. Looks like he beat feet all the way across the stick grass field and hopped a fence. Just getting into the trees on the next property over. Apparently, he was pretty tired after all that effort, so decided to take a long nap. In total probably 250 hundred yards from the shot. If I would have just been a bit farther back, and would have had a good exit wound, it would have been an easy tracking job. But leaving him was definitely the right decision.

Only had to drag him about 40 yards to the fence, but it was about everything I could do to get him pulled into the bed of the truck without my son helping me.

Had to take first pic with the camera on the tailgate, so did not get the best look at him.
picture.php

A look from the back
picture.php

And one from the front
picture.php

Congrats! Since it was nice yesterday, I took a walk thru Yellow Banks around 2:00 pm and had a small buck chase a group of doe's right by me.

Top Bottom