Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Yum Yum

doublerack

One of my favorite parts of shotgun season is processing. All the deer are hung by Wednesday. Boned out Saturday morning, processed and ready for the smoker on Sunday. The funny part is, we usually drink too much to remember exactly how we made what we did, but nonetheless each year we claim it's the best batch we have ever made. After 5days of hunting, 12hrs of processing and too many beers to count and we're left with 30 lbs of sticks, 90 lbs of jerky, and 100 lbs of ring bologna. Not bad for a weeks worth of fun and play.
Also currious how many of you process your own deer and what everyone makes?
readytosmoke.jpg

I just did 15lbs of Cajun Jerky this weekend. It's hot! Looks pretty professional for a bunch of guys guzzlin beers.

Looks like you guys did a nice job. We basically dont get anymore complicated than grinding burger and cutting steaks. Anything we want to process goes to the locker. I would like to try it sometime though. Ring bolongna looks tastey!

looks good thats for sure!

we make the general variety, we let the locker do the jerky and smoke our sticks, hopefully we will get a smoker soon.

the thing we make the most of is patties, brat, breakfast, and just plain patties, we use a sausage stuffer and a patty maker, 1 guy crankin one guy running the pattier and two wrapping we really hum along, probably make several hundred patties a year...they're man sized too 1/3 pounders.

we use the stuffer for hot sticks and summer sausage too. butterfly the steaks and that pretty much covers it.

our shotgun group keeps it pretty simple. loins are cut into chunks, that way each family can cut them as thick as they want. a few people take a roast or two, then the rest of the roasts are run through a slicer, to be used in stir fry, jerky, sandwich steaks..whatever. the rest is run through the grinder

Looks awesome D.R.! Do you smoke your own stuff or take it to the locker to have it done? Do lockers let you do that? I've done ring bologna in the past but to me it's a hastle if you don't have the capacity to do large batches. My wife has a gluten allergy so alot of the binders used in bolognas and summer sauges contain flour that have gluten. My area locker offered to mix a special batch gluten free for us to try if I'd give him 25# at a time. Heck of a nice offer.

Anyway, you smoke your own or have someone do it?

We do jalapeno cheddar brats,reg.brats,italian sausage,breakfast sausage,steaks and roasts.Like to throw a loin on the grill while cutting meat and having a few cold ones.

I have cut up my own deer all my life.I take all the lesser cuts of meat to the butcher for salami and snack sticks.Our butcher gets 65.00 for cutting and wrapping. I us that money to pay the salami bill.The only bad part is the waiting.But man o man, food for the gods.

I have a question for you guys that make your own brats and sticks. What kind of meat grinder do you all recommned? Did you buy an expensive from Cabelas or Scheels or did you just buy a cheap one from Wal-Mart? I'd like to make my own brats but have never done so before. I googled Eldon sausage and found some good info.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DOR- did you ever post pictures of the finished processing plant in your new house? </div></div>

I posted these pics before, not sure if you saw them....I had some very grand plans to furhter enhance my set-up (electric hoist, stainless steel tops etc...., but this never happened and it looks much the same today as in these pictures....maybe a little more clutter with kids toys today!

3 eye bolts that hold gambrels
308butcher1.JPG

12 foot cutting/wrapping station..now has shelves on far right side for storage of processing equip,
308butcher_2.JPG

Chest freezer/sink/another cutting station (fish cleaning area)
308butcher4.JPG
308butcher6.JPG

Oh yah, the moose finally made it into the basement, but I had to remove a couple of windows to accomplish that. He is happier inside....its a lot warmer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom