Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Regulation Question

flugge

PROHIBITED DEVICES & ACTIVITIES
You may not use dogs, domestic animals,
bait, radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows
(except as described below), automobiles,
aircraft, electronic calls or any mechanical
conveyance or device to hunt deer.

So can anyone tell me, what does "any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt deer" means? I ask because my bro in law wants an Ozonics machine and the local officer said no..Now awhile back there was a big argument, everyone says they are legal. I called down to the state office and was told no, others say they were told yes and they are 100% legal... The local officer said no, hes not getting one since that is who he would deal with... but where can one get the true definition other than "officer discretion"

flugge said:
PROHIBITED DEVICES & ACTIVITIES
You may not use dogs, domestic animals,
bait, radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows
(except as described below), automobiles,
aircraft, electronic calls or any mechanical
conveyance or device to hunt deer.

So can anyone tell me, what does "any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt deer" means? I ask because my bro in law wants an Ozonics machine and the local officer said no..Now awhile back there was a big argument, everyone says they are legal. I called down to the state office and was told no, others say they were told yes and they are 100% legal... The local officer said no, hes not getting one since that is who he would deal with... but where can one get the true definition other than "officer discretion"

Wow that's a new one. Hadn't even thought of that before. I haven't asked any CO's, but I have a hard time believing that Bill Winke would use one and broadcast it on his shows if it was illegal. Todd pringnitz as well is another Iowa "pro" hunter that I can think of that use it.

That's just silly. Bet his CO doesn't know what an Ozonics is. TV hunters use them in Iowa all the time and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. To me "any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt deer" means your truck, atv etc. And I don't even believe in Ozonics....

It's a scent cover for cripes sake! Suspect a citation wouldn't hold up in court but what a PIA that would be! Most folks who work for the DNR are fairly smart and have good common sense but it's obviously not a prerequisite. :rolleyes:

Weird, if you can't use ozonics then you better not be using a heater in your blind either!

How about cell phones? Such as "Jimmy shot one and it is wounded down by the creek"---legal?

How about cell phones? Such as "Jimmy shot one and it is wounded down by the creek"---legal?

I would think so because at that points it's not hunting the animal. Recover mode. If you ask 10 CO's you might get 10 different answers tho.

I think the intent is to limit the scenario of two peeps sitting on opposite ends of a woodlot and it goes via text "watch out, Jimmy, I see one headed your way". That's
not any different than someone getting a cell cam pic and instantly going to a certain spot to cut the deer off.

I would think so because at that points it's not hunting the animal. Recover mode. If you ask 10 CO's you might get 10 different answers tho.

I think the intent is to limit the scenario of two peeps sitting on opposite ends of a woodlot and it goes via text "watch out, Jimmy, I see one headed your way". That's
not any different than someone getting a cell cam pic and instantly going to a certain spot to cut the deer off.
That's weird, I text my 15 year old nephew all throughout the morning while hunting to see how hes doing and if he has seen anything..... We hunt two opposite areas of a field and food plot and if I'm not seeing anything i text before i get down to head his way to walk out.

Interesting question!! This past spring at the ICDNR meeting once every site is done discussing what they would like changed every site goes on satellite tv and presents what was discussed. After all sites have presented their wants and dislikes it is opened up to ask Dale Garner questions.
One fella asked Garner that he felt Ozonics was unethical and should be illegal. The look on Garners face was like I have heard it all nowo_O
If they were illegal he would have said so.

Weird, if you can't use ozonics then you better not be using a heater in your blind either!

Now you're just meddling! :D:D But seriously, I do agree with the notion that this is an interesting question.

Ha, wow, I did not expect to get the random responses! But all is interesting. I guess what bugs me the most, is that there have been several no/yes answers from different COs... Why is it allowed "discretion" Its either yes or no... and honestly, I dont see why it wouldnt be yes... However when I called down to state office, I was told it was because its on constantly... makes ZERO sense to me...

arm said:

A heater is totally different it does nothing to help you get game. Something that just keeps you more comfortable.

Ozonics on the other hand is in theory designed to fool a deers sense of smell. I also don't believe in the application but could see why it would not be allowed if it actually worked.

Hardwood11 said:

Cell phones or radios arr not allowed to be used to coordinate the movements of game. It's perfectly legal to text that "Jimmy killed a deer down by the creek come help us drag it out." But not legal to text Jimmy wounded a deer and it ran down by the creek. You cone in from the north and we'll walk the creek bottom from the south."

Or it's legal to say "I've seen three does and one nice buck this morning." Not legal to say "I just saw a big buck and it's heading your way."

That's weird, I text my 15 year old nephew all throughout the morning while hunting to see how hes doing and if he has seen anything..... We hunt two opposite areas of a field and food plot and if I'm not seeing anything i text before i get down to head his way to walk out.

That's completely different. That's just casual conversation. It's not informing someone else about the whereabouts of a game animal via electronic communication in order to help aid in the harvesting of said animal.

IowaBowHunter1983 said:
That's completely different. That's just casual conversation. It's not informing someone else about the whereabouts of a game animal via electronic communication in order to help aid in the harvesting of said animal.

I agree it's pretty casual, but you are also not allowed to coordinate the movement of other hunters, so when he says I'm getting down and heading your way it could be interpreted as coordinating a small drive.

Top Bottom