Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT MY LAND AS NR EVERY YEAR!!!”

IA has such a finite amount of the resources to being with. If they ever let supply and demand play out on its own.....

There would be VERY few places for residents to find a place to hunt even worse than it is now.

Reactions: HWC
I think what he means is one can draw a anysex shotgun or muzzleloader tag at least every other year. Even in zone 5 most draw gun tags with 1 and sometimes 0 points.

At the very least you need to have a license, not a tag if party hunting, for the deer you shoot. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be, but have since learned I was wrong. I know a lot of people abuse this and it sucks. Nothing to stop shotgun groups for strategizing where half the group gets buck tags for first season and the other half second. Thus hurting access even more. This loophole needs fixed.

You have to have a license and tag for the season you hunt. You can’t just have a hunting license and fill tags for others in the group. So if your group goes 1st season and you want to go with them you have to buy a 1st season tag. That then eliminates you from second season. If people are hunting without a tag I’d be reporting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to have a license and tag for the season you hunt. You can’t just have a hunting license and fill tags for others in the group. So if your group goes 1st season and you want to go with them you have to buy a 1st season tag. That then eliminates you from second season. If people are hunting without a tag I’d be reporting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is guys are buying a doe tag for the shotgun seasons, and hunting in parties with other guys with buck tags where anybody in the group can shoot bucks as long as the group still has buck tags. What I proposed was if your tag is just a doe tag for that season then no shooting bucks even if you are party hunting. It would be very difficult to enforce, but I believe that is how it should be.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is guys are buying a doe tag for the shotgun seasons, and hunting in parties with other guys with buck tags where anybody in the group can shoot bucks as long as the group still has buck tags. What I proposed was if your tag is just a doe tag for that season then no shooting bucks even if you are party hunting. It would be very difficult to enforce, but I believe that is how it should be.
Yes, and residents can do this too. Hunt late season either sex but group hunt one of the shotgun seasons with your antlerless tag.

I need to clarify my post above. It’s one thing now for a NR to party hunt in gun season but for a NR to gun hunt with only a doe tag is where my issue is!!
This is the loophole that needs fixed pronto! There are a couple local groups where NR come in numbers and party hunt with them and they kill the bucks with their antlerless tags. Since the CWD restrictions for every state I’ve caped out several every year to get them ready for transportation across state lines.
They’ve never left one here to mount cause they can get them done much cheaper in their state :rolleyes:

I need to clarify my post above. It’s one thing now for a NR to party hunt in gun season but for a NR to gun hunt with only a doe tag is where my issue is!!
This is the loophole that needs fixed pronto! There are a couple local groups where NR come in numbers and party hunt with them and they kill the bucks with their antlerless tags. Since the CWD restrictions for every state I’ve caped out several every year to get them ready for transportation across state lines.
They’ve never left one here to mount cause they can get them done much cheaper in their state :rolleyes:

Ishi—is it a loophole or it is it a law ? It doesn’t matter that much to me, I can draw gun tags every year. However, in Zones 4/5 I believe it’s 5 years to draw a tag . This is about the only way to hunt deer in that area.

Are we changing rules now ? Remember “you knew the rules when you bought in Iowa.” This is the current rule/law.

Ishi—is it a loophole or it is it a law ? It doesn’t matter that much to me, I can draw gun tags every year. However, in Zones 4/5 I believe it’s 5 years to draw a tag . This is about the only way to hunt deer in that area.

Are we changing rules now ? Remember “you knew the rules when you bought in Iowa.” This is the current rule/law.
I forget all the details on this. I talked to the DNR at the deer classic about this. They can’t legally do it and the DNR can’t enforce the law because the legislators have to make it a rule change so it’s a loophole.
In my zone there must not be enough any sex license to go around but there are antlerless only tag available by county that allow them to party and kill bucks.
Can anyone on here help explain if I don’t have the details correct?

This comment is prevalent in social media to iowa. & we all know: I love my NR buddies. & I understand some frustrations of access or tags …. There’s levels of frustration right now for ANY hunters with all the dynamics.
TO THAT STATEMENT…. It kinda ticks me off because it’s so misleading!!! & doesn’t tell the whole story.
-YOU CAN HUNT HERE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! U can shoot unlimited does & bucks with party hunting. Every year. You can draw a 3 week long ML tag almost yearly. Use a bow if u want. I know lot of folks who do this.
-can small game hunt. Turkey hunt. Trap. Get doe tag & deer hunt. The only thing they can’t do is shoot a buck in the exact season of their choice (unless it’s gun or late ML which u can use a bow).

What’s not considered in this statement is:
-these folks have more habitat & deer in the states they reside in & complain about hunting iowa.
-they don’t pay income tax to the tune of 3-7% depending on tax bracket. They don’t vote here. They are not citizens of this state.
-access to quality land is the #1 issue causing residents to quit & packing our public lands. Public being dead last in the nation for amount.
-they could move here.
-PLEASE!!! Fix your own states!!! Fix the broken states you are fleeing. Before ruining ours with your demands!!!
Again- I am NOT railing on NR’s!!!! Love u guys!!!! I’m railing against the current comments all over social media that’s pure ignorance!!! “We contributed to your economy”. …. OK- your 2 week visit is nice for motels, restaurants & gas stations (or whatever. Great). But just like in their state: residents fund these things 365 days a year. Residents buy all their gear in their home states (this is any state). Residents are the lifeblood to the economies. I say the same thing as I travel to KS as a NR…. I didn’t buy my gear or most anything in KS. I’m traveling there to shoot a buck, which is a luxury. & I’m not controlling deer #’s like residents. I appreciate KS welcoming me on occasion… I am NOT going to make demands for them to change their regs to better accommodate ME. I’m not entitled & I want KS to prioritize res or make the regs.
Again, please understand, not knocking NR’s. Just this silly argument that’s extremely common right now. To anyone in any state: it’s a luxury for NR’s to travel to u to recreate. It’s a necessity for the residents. Hunting or fishing. We need to get back on track with proper facts in these debates.
RANT DONE. ;).

FOI are gone. They tried to buy us off with lobbying & political donations. That group is gone but there’s many others that will spend $ to do same thing. Why ISC & IBA need funded. Then we had the ONE GUY spending probably $70k-$100k to change our regs. Unreal. Many states might have sell outs in em & cave- not iowa!!!

ML - yep- every year. Every other at worst. Many guys I know “bow hunt” for 3 weeks a year!!! I know a few that as NR’s shoot 1 buck party hunting & shoot a buck during ML season. It’s rare & not a huge issue. But it sure shuts down the argument “I can’t hunt every year” which is garbage.
I thought if a NR draws an any sex tag for bow or muzzy that they can’t buy a doe tag and party hunt during shotgun that season?

This comment is prevalent in social media to iowa. & we all know: I love my NR buddies. & I understand some frustrations of access or tags …. There’s levels of frustration right now for ANY hunters with all the dynamics.
TO THAT STATEMENT…. It kinda ticks me off because it’s so misleading!!! & doesn’t tell the whole story.
-YOU CAN HUNT HERE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! U can shoot unlimited does & bucks with party hunting. Every year. You can draw a 3 week long ML tag almost yearly. Use a bow if u want. I know lot of folks who do this.
-can small game hunt. Turkey hunt. Trap. Get doe tag & deer hunt. The only thing they can’t do is shoot a buck in the exact season of their choice (unless it’s gun or late ML which u can use a bow).

What’s not considered in this statement is:
-these folks have more habitat & deer in the states they reside in & complain about hunting iowa.
-they don’t pay income tax to the tune of 3-7% depending on tax bracket. They don’t vote here. They are not citizens of this state.
-access to quality land is the #1 issue causing residents to quit & packing our public lands. Public being dead last in the nation for amount.
-they could move here.
-PLEASE!!! Fix your own states!!! Fix the broken states you are fleeing. Before ruining ours with your demands!!!
Again- I am NOT railing on NR’s!!!! Love u guys!!!! I’m railing against the current comments all over social media that’s pure ignorance!!! “We contributed to your economy”. …. OK- your 2 week visit is nice for motels, restaurants & gas stations (or whatever. Great). But just like in their state: residents fund these things 365 days a year. Residents buy all their gear in their home states (this is any state). Residents are the lifeblood to the economies. I say the same thing as I travel to KS as a NR…. I didn’t buy my gear or most anything in KS. I’m traveling there to shoot a buck, which is a luxury. & I’m not controlling deer #’s like residents. I appreciate KS welcoming me on occasion… I am NOT going to make demands for them to change their regs to better accommodate ME. I’m not entitled & I want KS to prioritize res or make the regs.
Again, please understand, not knocking NR’s. Just this silly argument that’s extremely common right now. To anyone in any state: it’s a luxury for NR’s to travel to u to recreate. It’s a necessity for the residents. Hunting or fishing. We need to get back on track with proper facts in these debates.
RANT DONE. ;).
This is a lazy way to make a couple of suggestions that I feel strongly about. I am a NR and understand where Skip's coming from. My suggestions are....
Avoid cross-bows as much as possible.
Avoid rifles as much as possible.
Avoid letting anyone bring hogs into Iowa. If you're aware of some in your area, do what you can to get rid of them!

There are 4,500 nonresident antlerless only tags For Gun 1/2.These are divided between all the county’s that have Antlerless tags. If you watch the county quota there is no coincidence that the popular Big Deer county’s sell out first. Using the Metric of Nonresident Land owners I know 90% have some one with an Either sex tag sit with them so they can shoot a Buck. There is no legal limit to how many bucks a Nonresident could harvest if they can find enough “Friends” to hunt with. This shows a clearer picture of why Land continues to sell to Nonresidents when they can party hunt every year AND still build preference points.

Top Bottom