Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10/13/06 Too windy to hunt?

jdg83

PMA Member
Hey guys,
I've got a little dilemma on my hands. I'm in the process of planning a wedding and I'm really needing to get away. I've got a day of vacation to use and I was thinking of trying to get out hunting tomorrow. The forecast indicates a west wind at 20-30 MPH. I'll be hunting out of ladder stands, but is it too windy to be out there? I really want to go, but don't really want to get blown out of the tree... What are some of the experiences you have had while hunting with high winds?
I'm all for getting out there, but would it be better to save the vacation day for some other day? I'm hunting Oct. 21 and then I've got a hunt planned Nov. 3 - Nov. 7.

Your November 3-7 will be your best bet. If you can find a spot where it is not windy (cedar tree forest/grove is perfect) you might have a chance on a windy day.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

The deer aren't going to go anywhere, I would definitely go any given chance. It seems like no matter how windy it is, 15-20 minutes before dark it calms down enough and it seems like someone opens up the gates, because the deer just start pouring out of the timbers
grin.gif

I've shot some with a pretty stiff wind blowing. It also helps with not being detected while drawing your bow.

They are naturally a little spooky because wind strips them of their ability to see movement or hear as well.

Hunt when you can!
waytogo.gif

My experiance is that the wind doesn't have much effect on the deer. Just play the wind for scent. And sometimes high winds help because your scent stays up higher longer as it passes over the terrain. I feel that wind seems to effect humans more than deer, they live in it all the time.

I went yesterday in a 20 mph wind. I hunted a food plot on a hill top. I didn't see a deer. My brother, hunting about 200 yards away in a valley with standing corn saw 10-12 deer and had them running all around his stand.

My advice, with high winds stay away from hill tops and hunt a valley.

My experience is that deer are a bit nervous in the wind

I agree hunt when you can

High Winds are tough conditions!

Save your vacation day for sometime between the 21-26 of October

Went out tonight in the high winds, and had all kinds of deer moving through the woods. Shot one of the does as she went by. Wind didn't seem to bother them at all.

Top Bottom