Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11-21-15 buck

grossl1

When I heard the news about the winter storm rolling in and 5-9 inches of snow expected on Friday, I couldn't wait to get in the stand on Saturday morning.
I got in about 45 minutes before shooting light and had a good breeze and powder snow to sneak in quiet. Climbed into my tree and as it got lighter I heard the sound of wings flap above me, I looked up and had 5 big toms roosted in the same tree I was in! I waited for them to fly down and I stood up and decided to rattle. Not even 10 seconds into my rattling sequence I look to my right and see the buck I was in there after running right at me. I grabbed my bow and ranged the trail he was walking at 24 yards, so I moved my single pin sight and got ready. As I started to draw my bow my feet slipped out from under me and I fell right on my butt (I was in an old wooden platform stand) and he looked right at me, I froze and he stared me down for what seemed like forever, but was only probably 30 seconds. He decided I was nothing, but instead of continuing on that trail he veered out and angled away. I swung my legs over the side of the stand, sitting on my butt and moved my single pin to 30 not knowing exactly how far he'd be. I had one last shooting lane before he was gone and it took 2 loud grunts for him to stop. I released my arrow and watched him run 40 yards and start to wobble as he disappeared in the cedars. I waited about a half hour and decided to look for my arrow and some blood, expecting to back out for a while longer before trailing him. I walked about 10 yards on the blood trail and could smell him so I knew he wasn't far. (the rutting buck smell is something I could get used to :D ) I walked the trail until the blood went under a low hanging cedar tree. I was just going to walk around the tree and get back on the trail, but just decided to bend down and peak under the branches and there he was!
My biggest buck to date at 161 3/8" thanks to some long beams and good width. Have 3 years of history with this deer.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Awesome! I remember how slick those wooden platform stands used to get during wintertime; glad those days are over for me!

Top Bottom