Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

11/9 Buck

We had been hunting hard all week with very little rut activity and sightings in general. All our corn was down but there were hundreds of acres still standing directly south of us. Wasn't feeling overly confident but decided to stay at it. Well on the morning of November 9th, about 8:45, I spotted a fork working his way quickly and looking quite nervous. His tail was up the entire time and kept looking toward the direction he came from. I was thinking maybe a coyote was pushing him. Not two minutes later I look an see this old guy coming fast on the same path. The buck headed up the ridge toward me and stood out in front at about 50 yards. I'm looking around ranging his likely path as I wait for him to make his move. All of a sudden I hear something coming up the ridge and here is a coyote headed straight for the buck. I'm thinking the encounter is going to be over, but to my surprise the buck held his ground. He and the coyote were about 10-15 feet apart circling each other. The buck had his head down and antlers ready to fight off the coyote. Pretty cool to watch all this happen! Finally the coyote decides its not worth it and continues on. The buck continued on his way and come through my lane at 21 yards. He piled up about 70 yards later. We have had pictures of this buck for 3 years now and assumed he was a 3.5 yr old the first year, making him a 5.5 yr old buck this year. He certainly doesn't posses the rack I was dreaming about before the season began, but I am very proud to take a buck of that age class.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Cool deer and even better hunt! Not sure what that coyotes plan was....what was he gonna do with a deer that's ten times his weight? Haha dumb dogs.

Top Bottom