160" Eight with Drop

Rutnstrut2010

Yesterday morning I was in the stand and had a buck come in that we have been wanting to take. He was #1 on our hitlist. He was at 25 yards behind a tree and all of a sudden came running in directly at my stand I stopped him at six yards quartering to and shot.. The arrow only looked to have penetrated about 7 in. He ran down the hill and behind me. He stopped for about a minute and then took off again. I backed out and returned with some buddies about 10 hours later. We got onto a few drops of blood about every four to five feet... We found the arrow and there ended up being about 13 inches of penetration. After we found the arrow there was no more blood whatsoever. I looked until about 1 am last night and then all this morning,no blood no deer......Advice????????????????????:thrwrck::confused::(
::(.. I would like to upload trailcam pics of him,and also what my arrow looks like but I dont know how to. The arrow also has a good chunk of fat on it. In regards to my shot placement it was def. not high. but it was right on heigth wise and it was either shoulder or right behind it. And with 13 inches i dont see it being the shoulder.. Do we think the deer is dead??

quartering to and shot

How far from the shot to last blood?

Frontal shots are tough ones, I have taken them and had them pile up in sight and I have lost them with tons of blood for sign.

Most guys create a photo bucket account. You upload your pics to photo bucket and then paste a direct link to your post. http://photobucket.com/

Took me about 5 minutes to create an account (its free) and post my pictures.

Nothing good can come from taking a quartering to shot.Most of the time its either a long tracking job to find your deer or it is never found.Hopefully it's a lesson learned.Good luck finding your buck.

Best case scenario with that shot is 1 lung, liver, guts. Dead deer.

Best scenario for deer is broadhead glanced off ribs, penetrated poorly, and gave him a superficial wound.

Blood start to look watery at all.....was it about the color you expect blood to be? Those are probably muscle hits.

Dark, Dark, deep maroon blood is liver

Pink is lung

Did he tuck his tail hard on the hit? Could you see your arrow in him? Did the arrow look like it could have glanced off ribs and stuck in more parallel to his body rather than perpendicular?

Shooting an expandable or fixed head?

The arrow did not go in parrallel. I had thought about that also. The arrow swas sticking out perpendicular. I am 100% positive it was either shoulder or right behind it. The last blood was right were i foudn ther arrow which was about 150 yards from the shot. The blood looked like it could have been lung blood. Def reddish/pinkish but not bubbly. I was using fixed blade broadheads. I have spent the past three days looking for the deer and i have lost hope. I really hope he lives? I definetly learned my lesson and will not be taking quartering to shots any more. This will go down in the books as the most depressing event so far in my life. I need to just move on and get back up in the stand. I just havent had this happen to me before. Ive only lost one other deer and it was a doe. Thanks for the advice.

There will be a million experts that will follow this post up with...How they layed them down with a Quartering at ya shot! Make no mistake! It can be done! Think ya gotta use a Rage tho!!!!!!!!:D:D:D Seriously! Angle is everything! Ya only get one lung! Long road to travel! Ya get a lung and the liver! Lot better! But,they can go aways! Good Luck!! Thing is most times if he came in at ya.... he's gotta leave giving you a better angle? Just my thoughts!! Good Luck!!!:way::way:

I had the same scenario earlier this year. I hit him in the shoulder it ran down his leg and shattered the whole thing. 4 days later I found him laying in a crick with a broken leg. Keep looking if you dont look you cant find him.

What did the scene look like where you found the arrow....look like a struggle? Did he pull it out or did it just "fall out". Penetration would not be good if it just fell out.....unless it looked like it pushed on through, however, if this happened you would have blood.

The critical thing is this. After you hit the deer and got out of there are you 100% sure you didn't go down that hill and look for blood? You just climbed down slowly and snuck out...right.

After 10 hours that deer should have been bedded up and in a condition that you would've know if you kicked him up or not if the hit was fatal. My guess is he ran off, stopped and pulled the arrow out. Stood there for a bit and totally changed directions on you and you guys missed the blood.

What's the broadhead look like......has it been into bone? Did the hit sound like a "crack!" Big question is did the arrow penetrate on through and fall out his bottom side, or did he pull it out/ or it just fell out?

Last edited:
Fat plugged the hole . They will pull the arrow out. Hes dead or laying up a 1/4 mile or closer depends what you hit.

I will say this: if you have zero idea what condition the deer is in, 10 hours is not enough time. Twice in the last 4 years I've followed deer with dad that jumped the string or took a step at the shot. We jumped one 100 yards away 10 hours later and he ran close to 1/2 a mile before he died. The other we found alive (but barely) in a bed and were able to finish the job...over 16 hours later. Patience is a virtue in the deer woods. :way:

I will say this: if you have zero idea what condition the deer is in, 10 hours is not enough time. Twice in the last 4 years I've followed deer with dad that jumped the string or took a step at the shot. We jumped one 100 yards away 10 hours later and he ran close to 1/2 a mile before he died. The other we found alive (but barely) in a bed and were able to finish the job...over 16 hours later. Patience is a virtue in the deer woods. :way:

Sad but true!

Back