Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st public land hunt

Justin Johnson

Like most in here I get in the stand when I can & probably more than I should if you ask my wife. I have rights to hunt a productive patch of land that, until this year, worked out well. Adjacent ground has some new folks, and it’s created issues. While they don’t have permission to drive in (the ground is landlocked), people do so anyway. Multiple ladder stands and leased land signs appeared on the property’s edge just before the season. Trail cams I’ve set up near my stand for years went missing in August, and my hang on that’s been on the property for nearly a decade went missing 3 weeks ago. These issues, combined with a great deal more pressure, led me to take my annual birthday all day sit to public land 20 minutes away. Just off the Cedar River in SE IA, I’ve already seen more movement than the rest of the year’s sits combined. Two small groups of does with young bucks in tow harassing them passed about 40 yds out. Any recommendations regarding tactical adjustments? Bleats/grunts/rattles? I have estrus hung 20 yds out in my lane.

In my opinion, this is about the best time of year to nail a big boy cruising to find those last hot does. I would definitely try some blind rattling and grunting throughout the day. Good luck!

Sit tight and be ready! If the does are moving around you, and the small bucks are chasing, there is a good chance something bigger is not far away.

As far as rattling, grunting, and bleating, I've never had much success with it. I know many people do, but I mostly quit taking those in the woods with me. Last year, on a SW Iowa public land hunt, I could see some does about 100 yards away when I heard another hunter rattle. The does immediately bedded as close to the ground as possible.

Good luck!

Top Bottom