Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st season gun

Gnmbonner

I have my first Iowa tag and will be hunting the first gun season. Any tips on how to manage the weather (im from Alabama, not very cold here)

Last year was mild. Averaged low twenties in the morning and upper 30's during the day and dry. 2009 we had a foot of snow. 2008 if I remember right it was nearly zero every morning and 2007 we had rain, ice, snow and nice weather. That was in SW Iowa. So like others had said, plan for the worst.

Last year was mild. Averaged low twenties in the morning and upper 30's during the day and dry. 2009 we had a foot of snow. 2008 if I remember right it was nearly zero every morning and 2007 we had rain, ice, snow and nice weather. That was in SW Iowa. So like others had said, plan for the worst.

mild? ms/alabama winters are average mid 30's lows and mid 50's highs with 0 snow. so i would suggest atleast 5 layers of clothes, 1800gr boots, huge gloves and a portable heater.

You may need to grab a set of balls as well, heated of course. My wife carries mine around, but you can't have them. :eek:

What part of the state are you hunting..surprisingly, across the state changes alot...but as others say, layers and hand warmers...another thing that may never hurt to pack are either snow shoes or ice cleats...seems like every year lately we have had layers of ice across the state

I've hunted 1st season in a long sleeved T-shirt comfortably before and I've also had to wear wool plus layers. Early December in Iowa you never know what you're going to get so I'd just pack whatever you have.

Top Bottom