Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st time posting pic my 2003 archery buck

sddietz

See if this works. It's my first time trying. This is my 2003 archery buck.
345403_arch_buck10.jpg

Yes both brow tines are split. Gross's 150 3/8" with an additional 6" of abnormal points for the splits.

The story:
I was hunting is South Dakota. I took a Friday and Monday off of work. I planed on hunting four full days of the rut nov 5-8. Friday morning I sat in a piece of property I haven't hunted much during the year. After sitting until 10:30 and only seeing a few does, spike, and a small buck I decided to pull out for some lunch and check traps on the way home. After lunch pondering where to go for the afternoon hunt I decided to head to my favorate stand in a different area. Where I already shot my doe out of 2 weeks prior, and passed on a couple of 110-120" 4X4's along with some smaller bucks. This stand is located in a thick stretch of smaller trees with limited shooting lanes.

I got in my stand around 1:30, everything was perfect. About 3:00 I spot 3 does working their way along the ridge towards me, and behind them was a high and heavy 4X4 (130 ish). I immediatly postioned myself for a shot. When the buck was about 40 yds away he tensed up. I knew it wasn't me, the wind was in my favor and I was motionless. I then spotted movement coming from the oposite direction from the corner of my eye. I looked and all I saw was big rack. The large buck was approaching him with ears pinned back and neck puffed out. I then focused all of my attention on him. He was going to come by me broadside at about 25yds. I scanned ahead of his path to try and find a shooting lane through the thick stuff. I found a spot I new I could get through. I came to full draw, he came though, and the arrow was off. THWAK!!! The buck bolted forward about 10yds and looked around. I seen no sign of a hit, but he reacted as though he was. I then noticed my arrow stuck in a 2" dia. tree that was right in front of him covering the back 1/3 of his vitals. I could not believe it!! The deer wondered off unalarmed, and I sat there staring at my arrow for 1 1/2 hours totally depressed thinking about the trophy that got away (5X5 170 ish). As the sun set I could then make out small tigs from the tree branches that deflected my arrow in the shooting lane I used. The tigs were not as visible during the shot with the angle of the sun. About 1/2 hour later 2 more bucks came up the ridge from the bottom. I had them both at 15 yds. The bigger of the two was 4x4 120 ish. I wasn't even intersted in him after see the big boy. I let them pass.

I planned on getting in the same stand well before dawn the following morning, and sitting all day. Thinking maybe, just maybe, he'll come by again. That morning was perfect; calm and cold. I was in my stand for 1/2 hour after sun rise when I heard a deer tearing along the ridge. I new it had to be a doe beeing chased. I immediatly stood and got ready. Here comes the doe full speed with a nice buck chasing her. I drew back and put my pin on the buck as he ran towards me. The doe ran right by the base of my tree, and of course the buck stayed on the trail. I placed doe in heat scent on some trails prior to getting in my stand that morning. The buck got to the base of my tree and locked up. He caught wind of the scent. Standing there a few (fatal) seconds allowed me to settle my pin and let it fly. He did the mule kick upon the arrows impact. I watched as he ran full steam for about 50yds. He then slowed down and started the old "side wooble step death dance", tipping over in site. The rest is history, and a taxidermy bill.

Sorry if this was so long, but it has been the most memerable 2 days of bowhunting I've experienced so far. He wasn't the big boy, but he'll do.

That's a great story and one damn nice buck to boot. Now about the big boy, did he make it thru gun season do you know??? If so then he's gonna be a real BIG boy this year!!
waytogo.gif

Great buck! I love to hunt turkeys but it's been a while since I heard a good big buck story. Thanks for sharing, it really got my blood pumping!

Bowman

Top Bottom