1st time trail camera

funhater

hi fellas im new around here but have been deer hunting for a long time. i just recieved a new moultrie d40 as a gift. here is the deal ive allways done long range scounting any tips on how, where and when to use. heck any info would be greatly appreciated

That camera would be great over a corn pile or a mineral lick. That is when it is legal to have those out so from about july 1 through september 1. Then pull them off of the mineral sites and start looking for scrapes or rubs to put it on through out the rest of the season. While doing preaseason scouting with a camera I personally think that it is best to hang it and leave it for a few weeks that way you arent always in and out of the area. Good Luck and have fun you will be addicted after the first card and you will feel like a kid on christmas morning when you look at the pictures.

Look for an area of high activity such as a field edge overlooking a food source where a good trail comes out or better yet where several trails come out and intersect to the same approximate area. Sometimes a corner of a field can be good areas to find that sort of thing. Yours isn't a real slow triggering cam but it's not a hair trigger either so if you decide to put it on a main trail, angle the cam down the trail at a good 45 degrees or more so the sensor has some time to pick up incoming animals rather than straight across the trail where the window of opportunity is very small. Next spring right when the ground thaws, start yourself a mineral lick or two. I like to use areas that I know hold a lot of deer but that aren't all that conducive to stand hunting or perhaps it's an area that you always get busted going in to hunt, etc. Doesn't matter in the spring/summer when checking cams and then your licks are set apart from your stand locations to play it safe. Licks offer great pics and take the guesswork out of where to put the cams in the offseason. If you choose to leave cams out during season, you can start to move them to fencelines, treelines, scrapelines, etc. I take mine out that time of year though just to avoid any extra human presence in the timber at crunch time. Just my .02, a lot of guys run cams through season.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nug=Welcome to the sickness...</div></div>

Let me start by welcoming you to IW Funhater. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nug is right, it is a sickness, and I am not getting any better. Seems like the more I learn the more cams I want, the photos I want………………How are those big bucks I am seeing with binos and spotting scope escaping my cams????????

Here are some tips that were shared on this site I think in this forum several years ago by either <span style="color: #009900">Shredder</span> or <span style="color: #009900">Vman</span>. Sorry guy’s I don’t remember, but I did save them so I wouldn’t forget. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Camera Placement Tips

“Place them about 15-20 feet from a scrape, 20-25 from a mineral, and at a 45 degree angle to trails toward where they come from. “

“Height has a lot of variables in the fall put them as high as you can and angle them downward. This is due to not wanting to scare the bucks before season.”

<span style="color: #3366FF">If any of you experienced trailcam people have any more tips or words of wisdom to share please do so. Many of us are still learning and we would appreciate your sharing your knowledge with us….. please. </span>/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Back