Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2002 Live Hog Hunt

OneCam

In early 2002 we did a first for Iowawhitetail and updated a "Live" Texas hog hunt for everyone on the site - enjoy.

------------------------------------------

Day 1 - Delayed Departure - Jan 17

After all of the built up excitement we did not hit the interstate until 12am due to unexpected trailer wiring maintenance.

uploadedPig%20Hunt.jpg

After 2 hours in the Wal-Mart parking lot we were finally on the road only to be delayed 2 1/2 more hrs by a standstill in traffic caused by an 18-wheeler collision on I-35.

uploadedPig%20Hunt%20traffic.jpg

Here is a glimpse of Steve catching some rare shut eye.
uploadedPig%20Hunt%20004.jpg

Twelve hours later and very little sleep we arrived in camp with just enough time to quickly unpack and head to our stands for the first time.

Shane G was first to be dropped off at the "buck" stand overlooking a feeder. Steve F was dropped off at the "lucky swine" stand, Wayne W was dropped off at the "ladder" stand and I was finally placed on the "Duck Marsh" stand.

While in route to our stands we were encouraged to see fresh Hog sign everywhere! The ground was literally dug up all over and fresh tracks were abundant.

Although no pigs were harvested during the first evenings hunt Steve had several pigs within 30 yards but the brush did not allow a shot. Once the hogs left his stand, Steve stalked within 15 yards of the departing hogs. Again the brush was to thick for a shot. In all Steve saw 15 + hogs including two impressive black boars and a huge cinnamon phase boar.

Shane was within an earshot of feeding hogs yet he did not see any. He was able to grunt in two small whitetail bucks (for fun of coarse) and almost got a crack at a coyote.

Wayne could also hear hogs throughout his sit but a pack of coyotes made it to his stand first, sounding off close enough to scare the
30570-chair.gif
!@ out of him.

Although I did not see a single hog I did see 5 whitetail does pass within 20 yards. Man are these deer small. I also was privileged to witness thousands of waterfowl landing in the nearby flooded fields for the evening. I did find out after the evening sit our guide bumped about 15 hogs just after he dropped me off for the evening sit.

It is now midnight and our alarms will sound at 4:30. Our outfitter is picking us up at 5am to eat breakfast and prepare for the mornings hunt. Our plan is to sit in stands in the morning, still hunt a new area mid morning and prepare additional stands during the noon hour. We will post additional pictures for the next update. Wish us luck!

Day 2 – Success

Friday Morning brought cool temps in the 30’s during morning hours. Steve and I had a few close encounters but came up short in our stalks.

We spent the middle of the day scouting and hanging new stands in very promising areas.

uploadedPig%20Hunt%2050.jpg

From left to right: Shane, Steve, Wayne and Chris (Me)

At approximately 2:30 we headed out to our stands. Steve was the first to connect, arrowing his first hog at 4pm. He was quick to empty his quiver (four arrows) in the first hour and had two hogs to show for it. (the math isn’t adding up, Steve??!)

Wayne had a major bow malfunction, his bus cable derailed as he started to shoot a nearby hog. He ended up having to pass several hogs on his evening hunt. (tough luck Wayne)

Shane scored a real nice boar out of Double Bull Blind, his hog went down within 25 yards. His wife will be very excited as she is looking forward to a hog mount for their bedroom. (way to go Shane!)

uploadedPig%20Hunt%20Shane.jpg

I only saw one hog but he was big! Just came in a little too late. Hopefully I will connect on Saturday.
uploadedPig%20Hunt%20group.jpg

We are about to head out in 30 minutes . . . Wish us luck.

Day 3 – Close encounters

After tracking, recovering and cleaning our pigs until 2am we decided to skip catch up on some much needed sleep and skip the morning hunt. This was decided because morning hunts are usually not as productive as in the evening.

The weather again was very cool for Texas, with lows just below freezing. During the afternoon Shane and I hunted the West end of the ranch and Shane and Steve hunted the same stands from the previous evening.

I was also hunting the same stand from the previous evening in hopes I would again encounter the huge hog I had seen. At approximately 5pm I was caught off guard by a large black boar that came through at a fairly quick pace. When the boar hit the first and only opening it came to a sudden stop as it heard my bow’s top limb brush up against a twig as I came to full draw. As my 20yard pin settled on his chest I squeezed the release and the shot felt good. There was one problem though, the boar was standing at 30 yards and my arrow passed just below his chest. The hog departed with a short run and stopped in the distance to give me a few disapproving grunts before leaving for good. I did not see anything else for the rest of the sit.
uploadedPig%20Hunt%20double%20bull.jpg

Shane in front of his successful setup . . . note the Texas River bottom terrain.

In short Shane did not see anything from the new stand he had hung that evening. He did have a number of hogs very close, by just after dark. He even heard a pig squeal close by as he descended his stand. Shane wasted no time climbing back into his stand until the coast was clear. ( I think the movie Hannibal got to him)

Wayne got his bow working again and looked forward to shooting one of the hogs he had to pass up the night before. He managed to capture two young bucks on video as they passed the stand at less than 8 yards. At 5:15 a huge black boar was approaching the stand at 18 yards but no shot presented itself. As the hog was feeding head on towards the stand a group of Cardinals flushed and sent the hog running the opposite direction. The hog then stopped 25 yards out, still no shot opportunities. The hog started working broadside on a trail that would lead to one of Wayne’s shooting lanes. Wayne was waiting at full draw but instead of walking through the shooting lane the boar stepped off the trail, around the shooting lane, and then it stepped back onto the trail without a shot opportunity. Feeling that the hog was headed to a nearby feeder Wayne waited 15 minutes and began to stalk the feeder. Sure enough the hog was at the feeder but after stalking within 30 yards and undetected nearby doe started blowing. When Wayne looked back towards the feeder the hog had vanished. ( boy Wayne, you have all the luck)

uploadedPig%20Hunt%20camp.jpg

A look at camp after returning from the mornings hunt.

Steve, once again, had an eventful evening hunt. He returned to the same location and the action started at 4:00 with approximately 12-15 hogs within thirty yards. Unfortunately a swirling wind spooked the animals before any shot possibilities. At 5:15 a gray boar with a whitetail walked past Steve’s stand. Steve estimated the distance at 20 yards. Because he had already harvested a nice Boar he decided to pass this one waiting for a mountable animal.

In all we had a great time and we all can’t wait to hunt here again

Reflecting Back . . .

Willam Nixon, owner of Nixon’s Hunting Excursions, was our guide/outfitter and he provided us with outstanding hunt. He was a very likable guy and was willing to accommodate all of our needs. This terrain consists of river bottom land that contains mature oaks and thick under brush, it is literally overrun with wild hogs.
uploadedPig%20Hunt%20guide.jpg

left to right: Chris, Steve, Shane, William ( our outfitter) and Wayne.

We are returning home with only three pigs but we should have been able to easily double that amount. It was apparent from the beginning that we clearly underestimated the intelligence and survival skill of these animals. Their sense of smell may even rival our whitetails back home. We learned fairly quickly that the permanent stands by the feeders were not the best places to be because both pigs and deer alike would scan before approaching. Placing a portable tree stand in a different tree or just above the old platform is suggested. We had most our success by locating the hogs feeding patterns by listening for their squeals and grunts, then moving stands to these areas. We tried to place our stands within range of several well used trails and utilized pinch points such as creek crossings and terrain features when possible. These hogs are stalkable as long as the wind is in your favor. The vote is unanimous that we will return to Texas and hunt with William as soon as possible.

Top Bottom