Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2005 regulations, my opinions, please read.

boacephus

I know this has been touched upon a couple times I've read some of them. However, I didn't see anything along these lines.

Currently you can basically only hunt one gun season. I think it would be nice to send a proposal to the IDNR to change this. NO, not more bucks, two tags is generous and I enjoy the nice Iowa bucks. I know several people that would hunt a shotgun season, but they like the chance of a trophy during early muzzleloader season. I plan on skipping shotgun this year for muzzleloader myself. That right there is 2-3 antlerless tags that I won't be buying to group hunt. Let alone some of the hunters that have groups they could hunt Shotgun1 and 2 seasons. I think those numbers would add up pretty quick. I eat alot of venison, and love to bow hunt and usually shot does. Maybe I'm only looking at this one sided, for my benefit, please make some holes in this theory or come up with a good representative to send something to IDNR. I think this would maybe even help some of the counties that don't sell out of antlerless tags catch up. Comments, ideas????

I guess im kinda confused on your post sorry. If I read it right, you want to get two buck tags with a gun right? If that is the case, I really don't blame yah. I spose the main reason is because if you could get 2 buck tags with a gun, then all the good ole boys that just shotgun hunt would start hunting early muzzleloader doing big deer drives in thick vegetation and it gets really dangerous, plus bowhunters are out in the woods. Then you could say well I want a shotgun tag and late muzzleloader tag, if that were the case, shotgun season would never end. Everyone would do massive deer drives every weekend from the first of dec to the middle of january.

As far as your question, I can see your gripe, the only thing I can suggest is start bowhunting or buy land. Then again I might of read your post wrong, but either way you could still buy shotgun doe tags, still hunt with your buddies, shoot a buck and hunt early muzzleloader. I guess there is alot of ways around the system
confused.gif

I agree with you whole heartedly. I think that 1 gun buck license and 1 bow buck license is plenty for any of us, but I think we should be able to buy doe tags for any other season and I think that landowner doe tags should be good from the begining of the bow season through the last day of the Jan season with the aproprate weapons. With the huge increases in antlerless tags available why not let us hunt does as much as we can? For example for me to hunt early muzzle loader season and either shotgun season I must have a landowner tag. I usuallu get the early muzz landowner tag and a doe tag that I pay for. Then I get a bow tag and a bow doe tag, and a shotgun tag and at least one doe tag, and one or two doe tags for late muzz, and finally two doe tags for Jan season. If I could only get any sex tags for the bow and one gun season I wouldn't care because I shoot mostly does anyway. By making some of these tags good for more than a few days the chances of filling them are much greater and if population reduction is the goal shouldn't we encourage filled tags over sold tags. Changing the regulations for more sucess would not make me buy fewer tags and with the HUSH program might even encourage me to get more because I just like hunting deer not just deer horns.

Sorry guess I bounced around to much. No not two buck tags for gun leave that the way it is, I do bow hunt
smile.gif
Currently if you hunt early muzzle you can't hunt shotgun(antlerless or buck), if you hunt shotgun1 you can't hunt shotgun 2. What I would like to see happen, me for instance: Buck tag for bow, 1 or 2 antlerless for bow, Buck tag and 1 antlerless for early muzzleloader, and a few antlerless tags for the Shotgun1 and shutgun 2 seasons. Some hunters don't bow hunt, feel sorry for them, so they only hunt shotgun 1 or 2 season, thats all they are allowed to hunt. Let em hunt both seasons!!!

There ya go bowhunter. Make the antlerless tags non-season specific! No wait that leaves to much room for poachers to tag an animal. Make antlerless tags for archery, shotgun(pistol), muzzleloader.

I think the problem with what you just discribed is that your 1st and 2nd gun season doe tags woulds still allow you to party hunt and take a buck durning that season. Would it be an honor system? I see problems with that.

One guy can already shoot as many bucks as his group has tags.

The shotgun seasons are when the majority of deer hunters are in the woods. It only make sense to do your doe thinning when the most boots are on the ground. To bad common sense deer management has left this state.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with what you just discribed is that your 1st and 2nd gun season doe tags woulds still allow you to party hunt and take a buck during that season. Would it be an honor system? I see problems with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Ironwood. I would assume it's the fact that they allow party hunting that prevents them from allowing more than one type of gun season.

I agree with Rack and Ironwood. I think 90% of guys would use it as an extra opportunity to shoot a buck via party hunting.
I.E. Joe Blow normally hunts 2nd season with his large group. But, now he says "hey, I'll just hunt 1st season and shoot a buck, then get a 2nd season doe tag and I can still shoot a buck with my regular group 2nd season because we almost never fill our 27 buck tags anyway...."

There cant be many people who are willing to shoot a doe during shotgun that dont get at least one chance. I sat all day last year season 1 opener just to see what came by. Had about 30 does come by, some groups more than once as they got pushed around.

I know exactly what you are saying and agree 1 million percent. I have said that all along. Like you said, if you muzzle load you can't shotgun. Why can you take several does shotgunning, but you can't early ML and shotgun, even for does. Doesn't make sence. Why should it matter what your means is for harvesting the does. If you are allowed "X" amount of doe tags for shotgun, then why can't you harvest a doe during ML and still go SG. All boils down to $$$$, not concern of deer population.

Because when Muzzleloaders asked for an early season (Late was initiated first) as a concession to Bow hunters who understandably wanted to protect thier bow days, the early muzzleloader season was set up with a quota and a stipulation that those who chose to hunt early muzzleloader would give up the oportunity to hunt any other gun season. Except for the late antlerless and now the Nov antlerless season it is still that way. The point was that if you wanted to hunt in Oct with a gun you better be willing to give something up in return. IMHO Using the doe situation to change that is just a back door way to undermine the intent of the season. You can still buy antlerless licenses for Early Muzzle if you have the Any sex early muzzle tag. Biologically and as per QDM that's the better time to take does out anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
but I think we should be able to buy doe tags for any other season and I think that landowner doe tags should be good from the begining of the bow season through the last day of the Jan season with the aproprate weapons

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

I think that you are missing the point at least that I wanted to make. I don't remeber the exact time but I thought that the early muzzle loader season came first some where arround the mid 70's. At that time you could only get 1 gun license and 1 bow licence peroid, and there was a drawing for the any sex licenses because other wise all you could get was a buck license. At that time hunters wanted to be able to take any deer not just a buck. The muzzle loaders wanted a season where they didn't have to compete with the shotgun hunters and the deer weren't as pressured. They felt that due to the primative nature of equipment at that time and the need for relative short range shots they should have some of the same early advantages that the bow hunters enjoyed. As I remember they started with 2500 tags and have grown to 7500 tags over 30 some years. I think our focus has switched from just getting a deer to only harvesting the largest buck possible and being some how less of a hunter if you have to settle for just a doe. Forget about the jealousy of some hunter maybe taking a buck while party hunting with a doe tag. So what. It isn't any different for the deer than if the hunter with the buck tag had shot him and the net result to the deer herd is exactly the same. Party hunting came about so that you didn't have a group with 10 bucks only tags and 1 any sex tag that never got to fire a shot because the right person with the right tag wasn't in the right position at the right time. What in the world is so important about a set of horns that set in a grarage or are nailed on a shed. I think that if you want to take a trophy and mount it to enjoy that is fine but the vast vast majority of racks never see a taxidermist so what is the point of guarding them so passionatly. Be honest, how many mount every buck they kill and who would mount 4 or 5 or 8 a year for 20 years. Deer hunting should be just that deer hunting . I know I got off point a little but I wanted to make the point that I would like to see 1 gun and 1 bow tag for a buck only and make doe tags available to anyone who wants to hunt them in any legal season with any legal weapon as long as the State seems to think we need to reduce the population.

Ia ML,

That's probably the best description of the theory behind the early muzzleloader season that I've heard. I had questioned several times in the past why it wouldn't be possible to hunt both early and late, particularly if one were anterless only. It comes down to trying to provide the best opportunities for everyone.

With the number of seasons we now have, and the basically unlimited number of doe tags available, do you really need to hunt more than one gun season? I'd say no! If you want to maximize your opportunities, do like others have suggested and take up archery.

All good points and some informative posts. Maybe I sidetracked and came off the wrong way. I do bow hunt, I do muzzleloader hunt. The way antlerless tags are I have plenty of tags available for my taking. I don't now enough about QDM, but if they want more does taken, let the shotgun1 hunter with an unfilled tag hunt the second season. I agree with an earlier post the buck doesn't care, if someone hunts in a group and without a buck tag, and without the ethics or management and has someone else tag a spike in a party, so be it, it happens anyhow now. This doesn't even have to be a permanent thing, just like the november hunt. This is just a temp thing to knowck down the numbers. I will get plenty of tags between bow and early muzzle loader, I'm not trying to be greedy. I would enjoy being able to party hunt also, but if I can't no big deal. Just an idea, thanks for all the insight on it.

it should still equal out to one buck, per any sex tag, regardless of how many bucks an individual in the group shoots.

since we are at a surplus of does, and the DNR/insurance companies DEMAND more does harvested, then, instead of creating new seasons, they should strive to sell more tags. basic intro to business classes teach that if you have a surplus, you reduce the price to move more product. cut the price of doe tags, and make them good from oct 1 through january whatever.
that should be a simple solution, but too many people want to work for their own agenda, and all they see is $$$$$

Right on Teeroy, That is excactly what they would do if proper deer herd management was the main focus. Why not give a free doe tag with every any sex gun tag purchase?.....

Politics and money are driving the management decisions.

One possible reason that I havent seen adressed is just plain old numbers. Most likely, the reason you cant hunt both shotgun seasons now is the same reason they came up with two seasons in the first place (as I understand it). The seasons were split for safety so not so many hunters were in the field at the same time. I would assume that logic still applies to this situation.

Cheap doe tags and an easy place to unload them will solve the doe "problem", I think. The expansion of HUSH should take care of part of this.

As far as allowing early ML hunters to also hunt shotgun doe only, that really wouldnt have much affect on hunter numbers or doe numbers, considering the 7500 cap on early ML.

Top Bottom