Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2012 Bow Buck Back From Taxi (Reinertson Custom Taxidermy)

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
In the late morning hours of November 4th, I took down my stand and sticks and decided to relocate to another side of the farm in hopes of killing my #1 target buck, 'Rookie.'

As I was making my way through the draw towards the location of my next setup, I noticed movement 60yds ahead of me; it was 'Rookie' working a scrape (or so I thought). He thrashed the trees while grunting loudly. This dude was in full out rut mode, and didn't seem to have a care in the world.

I dropped and quickly crawled for cover, knocked an arrow, and peeked over the top of the culvert that I was hiding behind. Sure enough, he was heading my direction. I knew the trail he was walking would bring him past at 30yds.

As he was getting closer, I studied his rack.....trying to make out if it was Rookie. By now, he had weeds and part of a tree branch stuck between his tines. All I could see was his side profile.....still, judging by his short 2s, long 3s and good 4s, I thought it had to be Rookie as I had no other bucks on my cameras with that frame.

Once he reached the opening, I drew back and released an arrow. It was a perfect shot, and the 'Rookie' only went 50yds before falling over. Upon recovering him, I knew that I had a case of 'Mistaken Identity.'

This particular buck was not Rookie, and although he was still a good whitetail, I was, at first, somewhat disappointed as I thought that I had just killed my #1 target (a buck I had 2yrs of history with). After soaking it all in, and allowing the initial shock to wear off, I was super excited. This buck was beautiful.

I decided to call him 'Mistaken Identity,' and he'll be proudly displayed on my wall now for the rest of my life.

Brian Reinertson (breiner11 on here) did a superb job. I'll be honest with you....this is one of my favorite mounts in the house. It ranks up there with a few of my Meders. If you are ever in search of a high quality taxidermist with a good turn around time, give Brian a jingle ( www.reinertsontaxidermy.com )

Enough blabbing....here are some pics!

The eye work was flawless:

On the wall:

To add to the story, back in March Dwilk and I were shed hunting and Dwilk found one side to Mistaken Identity from the year before I killed him. After looking at the shed, we are nearly 100% certain that he was 4.5 when I killed him. Regardless, he's a trophy that I'll now be able to enjoy forever. Thanks Brian for helping 'preserve' the memory! :way:

Here is the Video on Vimeo: 'Mistaken Identity Video'

Last edited:
Top Bottom