Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 Kansas Gobbler - First timer

cjgarrett

Well guys i had the opportunity to take a family friends son out last weekend on his first turkey hunt. Hunting is not really available within his immediate family. Last year he was in the stand with my GF when she shot her first buck and he has been hooked ever since! I took him out a few times in extended deer season hoping he could get a doe but we ended every trip empty handed. Turkey season was a whole different story though!

Our hunt started bright and early Sunday morning with terrible conditions to say the least. We walked into the woods with a 25+ mph constant wind and gust to the upper 30's. I thought right away that our chances were slip but i also knew we only had one day so i had to give it a try.

As we entered the winter wheat field we intended to hunt the birds began to sound off, there were3-5 birds roosted in the spot they always like to hang out this time of the year. The only issue was this spot was 150 yards from us and i immediately noticed a hen roosted between the birds and us. We managed to sneak another 20 yards to a spot where we could have good visibility and concealment. I told my dad to take Spencer to a bigger group of trees just inside the woods and i told them i would crawl out and try to set up the decoys. I managed to make it 10 yards out in the field and set up the first hen decoy. As i started to crawl out a little farther i noticed the birds flying down. 3 jakes landed 60 yards from me and began to look hard at me and the decoys. I had my strutter laying in front of me so i just stood it up to block their view. I continued to hide behind the decoy and let the jakes calm down. This is when i looked through a small hole in the fan to see a long beard running right at me! He was no farther than 50 yards! Just seconds later i noticed a second one even closer, just about the time the panic sank in i heard my dad say "shoot him"!!! I closed my eyes and the gun went off! I instantly jumped up only to see a bird flopping within 10 yards of me.... Spencer ran out into the field and we laughed about what had happened. It was by far one of the craziest hunts i have been on and the quickest one for sure. It might of lasted 5 minutes from the time we hit the field edge... Here are a few pics i took after we got back to the house.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks guys, he is truly hooked now! He will be on this site soon enough getting in the mix with the rest of us! I just hope he realizes its not always that easy!!!!!

Top Bottom