Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2013 trail cameras

LYON

PMA Member
I will try to update this thread as new pictures roll in. Pulled a camera today that I've had out since the 12th. Unfortunately the last picture was on the 18th and it died. Oh well.
This first one I believe is a big 8 that showed up during the season last year. Never saw him but got a few pictures and I got lucky enough to have a buddy of mine find his right side. I'm crossing my fingers that he will blow up.

Not sure what this next one is. I may be able to figure it out after the velvet is gone. Does he look old to you guys? I think his body says he's an old boy.

One last decent one. Kind of a cool crab claw.

I think the crab claw is the same deer as the night time pic that you can't tell what it is. They should both turn out nicely.

It might be. I didn't have any pics of the crab claw one that were facing straight on. Time will tell I guess.

Pulled a camera this morning and bummer, it only took pics for two days....Oh well, still managed to get some good ones.

First up is a deer I've been waiting to see again. It's a buck I call Curly. I put an arrow in his shoulder last year and thankfully he survived my crappy shot. He had a small amount of non-typical stuff last year which he got rid of this year. His G4's are a little shorter but his frame grew quite a bit!
This was Curly last year.

Now this year.

I posted a couple pictures of this guy as well in my first post on this thread. He put on a lot more length and has some interesting stuff going on. Looking forward to seeing some hard horned pics of this one.

Full disclosure...I'm horrible at telling if photos from one year to the next are the same deer unless there is soem easy distinguishable trait in rack or body, like it has three legs. How do you tell if those pics are Curly both years? Not being critical, just trying to learn.

Full disclosure...I'm horrible at telling if photos from one year to the next are the same deer unless there is soem easy distinguishable trait in rack or body, like it has three legs. How do you tell if those pics are Curly both years? Not being critical, just trying to learn.

Certain traits are the only way to tell. I had to look hard at these pictures to make sure it was him. 2 years ago he was an 8 point with his G4's just poking up, last year he was a main frame 9 with an extra point coming off his right brow tine and a little sticker on his left G3. So when I got these pics of a clean main frame 10 it made me wonder. Especially considering the fact that I put a broadhead in his shoulder last year, I was expecting him to show up with some added non-typical stuff. All that being said, I can be confident it's him for 3 main reasons. 1: His brow tines have not changed, they are fairly tall and very straight. I have not seen any other deer in this particular area with brows like that. 2: The ends of his main beams curly upward. Same story each year. 3: His body positions and what I will call mannerisms in all the pictures are the exact same. If I didn't have any pictures of his head I could tell you its the same deer based on how he holds himself. This may not be the case with every deer and I can only say this because I have looked at a LOT of pictures of this one. There is just something about the way he stands that is different from the other deer in the area.
So for what it's worth, you are absolutely correct that the only way to tell is based on certain characteristics of each individual deer. :way:

Pulled a camera this morning and bummer, it only took pics for two days....
Is this always a problem with your Coverts? Mine are the same way and are about to find the trash. I turned mine to video mode and seemed to help some??

Same buck...larger frame. Nice.

Is this always a problem with your Coverts? Mine are the same way and are about to find the trash. I turned mine to video mode and seemed to help some??

Same buck...larger frame. Nice.

I think my issue was batteries. I put some fresh ones in and i'll be back out there in a couple weeks to make sure it is doing its thing. I have had some issues with it this summer due to getting ants in it.

The only problems I have with my coverts is that they takw pictures of everything, birds, squirrels, mink, rabbits. I have them on the lowest sensitivity...
I will say thst they are all mp6's and red 40's. All are fairly new. I have an old ca3.0 that is still working great though.

Here's a few more pics from the last couple of pulls. I will likely be moving at least one of my cameras to a different property soon to get an idea of what is moving there. I just like the deer at this current location too much.

Here are a few more of curly. Man this deer is not camera shy AT ALL! I have hundreds of pictures of him from every angle you could ever want.

Here are some more recent pics of the guy with the goofy rack. I asked my 4-1/2 year old daughter what we should name him and after thinking for a few seconds came up with Fanner.....So Fanner it is. Not sure where that came from but we'll go with it:way: He ended up filling out nicely! Any thoughts on age based on body? I don't have any history with him. I'm leaning towards 4.5+. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pass him if he would stroll by. From the pictures I have I'm counting at least 14 points.

First hard horned pic of the year!

What do you guys think of this doe? Older than dirt or sick?

Just because it's cool.

Here's another update. Only this time, you get videos. I got some hard horned pics of the bucks hanging around my area a couple of weeks ago. Here is a cool one of Curly in mid velvet shedding.

And the only decent hard horned pic I have of Fanner.

I pulled the camera this morning after having it out for about two weeks on video mode and my card filled up so fast it only took videos through the 20th:thrwrck: Haha oh well.

Here is a video of Curly.

Here's a new 8 (on the right) that I think I have pictures of last year but nothing to base it on other than the general curl of his right G2 and G3 and the fact that his left side is smaller (same as last year).

The very first picture I posted in this thread was of a early velvet deer that I thought to be Chip. He was a big 8 (140"ish) last year with some gnarly G2's and a sticker coming off his left brow. I believe this is him now.

And I thought this was a pretty cool video. Curly and a 1.5 year old pushing on each other. The body size is crazy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom